Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPod Touch 4th Gen - Spotify Lags Constantly

iPod Touch 4th Gen - Spotify Lags Constantly

Spotify lags badly if I lock the screen, then unlock it. It takes a good 8 seconds for Spotify to become responsive to my touch. I've reinstalled, resycned, logged in and out and it's still happening. The app is also incredibly sluggish when using it, flicking through playlists isn't smooth at all.

It's incredibly annoying.

Spotify Version - 1.5.0.2728

iOS Version - 6.1.6 (iOS 7 not available for 4th gen 

It's as if Spotify is trying to connect to the servers, even when it's in 'Offline' mode.

Is this a known bug for the iPod Touch 4th Generation?

9 Replies

Hey @iwotton

Let me start by welcoming you on to our community. We look forward to having you on board 🙂

Have you tried out a soft reset of the device (holding both the home and lock buttons together)?

In regards to the iOS version, for best performance we'd recommend running the newest available iOS. How much available space do you have on the device?

Let us know, we'd love to take a look at things.

Cheers

Hello,

As it's a 4th Generation iPod Touch it cannot be upgraded to iOS 7. 

My iPod is blank as I only use it in the gym. I've reset the iPod and reinstalled and resynced Spotify. It's happening less though still happening. It appears to almost degrade over time. 

Will Spotify evenutally become unsupported on iOS 6?

I am also having problems on my 4th gen iPod Touch. It is incredibly slow and laggy when I try to do anything, especially in the radio, and crashes constantly. I have tried totally uninstalling/reinstalling and resettig the iPod several times. I am using the latest version of Spotify and iOS 6. This has been happening on and off for several months. I thought it had been fixed with a previous update but it seems to be getting worse now.

Can you try to double tap home and clear all of the running apps (slide/flick every single card up), because all of the apps is fighting for memory on the device and Apple's internal task killer will just kill those apps thats using more memory than usual.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

I've read a few reports of the latest version of Spotify not running smoothly on the 4th gen, and my suspicion is - though I'm no expert - that it's smply getting too long-in-the-tooth to run the newest version. 

I have a 4th gen myself, and still have the version that had the beta equalizer. With the news that 1.5 had an equalizer I thought about finally upgrading, but given the reports I've read I think I'll give it a miss.

Follow me

@gareth8 Well yeah, if you have it jailbroken you can extract the ipa and you can restore it on demand.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Yes, I'm starting to think that the app is just too demanding for my ipod, which is a bit ridiculous considering that all it has to do is stream music and not crash. I have plenty of other music apps that can handle that.

I have tried reinstalling, rebooting and shutting down all other apps many times and it helps for a while, but after I switch screens, skip a few tracks or whatever it just gets slower until it eventually crashes.

I think I might just try another streaming service.

Since resetting my iPod 4th Gen, reinstalling and resyncing I've seen a decrease in the lag, which is good. I think the new Spotify is demanding, and in an ideal world it shouldn't be, the GUI is pretty and all, but worth the decrease in performance? I think not.

Hi there! 

I am trying to buy an ipod touch on ebay just to use at the gym and around so I don't destroy my iphone. What is the earliest version of the itouch (generation 3, 4, 5?) that the current version of spotify is compatible with? I'm literally only using this touch for spotify and my downloaded music. Please let me know! This thread is from 2014 so things may have changed by now. 

And how long do you predict it will be compatible if so. 

Thanks! 

M

Suggested posts