Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPod Touch 5g doesnt sync over same WiFi signal, not recognized as device using lightning cable

iPod Touch 5g doesnt sync over same WiFi signal, not recognized as device using lightning cable

First of all I would like to point out that I have successfully been able to sync some of my music to my iPod, but only over wifi at a friends home. I've lost hope that spotify will ever get support or fix the lightning cable problem.

My iPod touch has been unable to sync at my wifi where I currently live though. I live in a college residence hall (dorm) and I have not been get my iPod to show up in the devices tab. Both devices are connected to the university's wifi, the spotify apps are open in both my PC and iPod and both spotify apps are NOT in offline mode. So what is going on? Why can't won't my iPod show up under the devices?

I'd like to add that other apps like Apple's "Remote" app seem to have the same problem where they cannot work over my university's same wifi signal.

iPod Touch 5th Generation (5G) using Spotify for iOS

PC using Windows 8 and Spotify for PC

2 Replies

Some univerities restrict data downloads, this is to prevent illegal downloads on campus. How they do this, I have no idea. When I was taking some courses a feew years back I found out that I couldn't do anything online that required a lot of transfer such as online games or downloading files. I do know that there were some that had figured out how to get around this, unfortunately I never bothered to learn.

Dell XPS Duel core laptop, 4 gb ram, windows vista, winamp
Samsung Galaxy s3
Ipod 32gb 5th generation

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Unfortunately, this issue is most likely down to the security settings of the WiFi network you are connected to. I know definitely that in Halls of residense here, it is not possible no matter how many times I tried to get the local file sync on my friends iPhone to sync across the uni network. As soon as I plugged in my own router and connected both to that, zoom the tracks synced straight away. 

As for the lightning connector issue, that wouldn't help even if it wasn't a bug seeing as iPod Touches and iPhones can't be synced using a cable, it has to be done using WiFI. The cable transfer is only for standard iPods (the non-smart ones). 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts