Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ads in Unlimited (after years without ads)

Solved!

Ads in Unlimited (after years without ads)

Hi, For quite a long time I have an unlimited account, without ads. But since a few days I get ads, both visual in the player and in audio.

I followed the tips I found on this forum, such as log out and in again. I even fully uninstalled the application and installed a newly downloaded app. But the the ads are still there. Anybody help?

68 Replies

Yeah, I've been having this problem too lately.  I've had Spotify Unlimited for pretty close to a year now with no problems on the desktop version or the android version, but just recently I have been getting ads when listening to the radio on spotify through my phone.  My payments are going through and it does say I still have the unlimited subscription.  Not sure why I am getting ads on my mobile version.  I think it all started when the mobile devices all got updated and now we can shuffle songs on a playlist.

Spotify support won't give a straight answer but it appears they have changed their terms of service for unlimited. I'm ok with that but not ok that I'm now paying for the "free" service on my mobile devices. I don't get why they don't clearly state the changes they have made to unlimited. I think those of us that have been loyal paying customers should at least get credited for the current month or at best given an upgrade to premium for the current term to try it out.

Finally, an official answer.

I have checked your account and I found that your account was part of a group that have mobile free radio, there were no adverts.

But as Spotify technology progressed we have update the feature to all our customers. As we are able to offer Free subscription on phone, tablet or ipad.

The radio with no adverts is closed.

To continue to listening on your device without adverts you have to upgrade to Premium Subscription.

Well that is annoying.  So we are now paying for less features with the unlimited subscription than we were originaly given.  They downgraded the unlimited subscription so that we will go for the more expensive premium.  I don't necessarly disagree with what they did, but why keep the same price for a subscription that now gives less?  

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a problem or as designed. 

I used to have premium but have downgraded to unlimited.

I normally listen via my ipad mini, but since the downgrade I am getting adverts on the ipad mini. The ads are only for spotify services.

Should I be hearing spotify adverts on my ipad mini when I pay £5 per month? It doesn't seem worth it, so will probably cancel my subscription - I'm as happy listening to spotify ads as British Gas ads when I want to hear music, but I wouldn't have to pay to listen to the british gas ads!

Any advice appreciated!

Emily

Unlimited gives you ad-free listening on a PC. Free listening on tablets is subject to ads but hey, last month you needed premium to listen on all mobile devices.

Joe, you say Free listening on tablets is subject to ads. I'm also an Unlimited subscriber but only get ad free on computer whilst Ipad has Spotify only ads. Things seem to be changing fairly rapidly. Only last week I could listen on Ipad totally ad free on unlimited, but no more.

Because they don't seem to want to offer Unlimited anymore. They don't advertise it anymore nor do they allow users in new territories to sign up for it. It is being unofficially phased out. They just can't get rid of it because nearly all their competitors still have a $5 per month plan and they would not want to potentially lose a lot of subscribers. I imagine they will just keep it around to hang onto subscribers unwilling to subscribe to $10 Premium, like Rhapsody does. I can't blame them, as it can't possibly make much money after all the expenses and licensing is substracted.

I so wish they would post a nice chart of the new structure. Unlimited on desktop hasn't changed - you still get ad-free music. However, unlimited on a tablet now includes ads and a 6 track skips per hour limit on radio. This is following the changes announced 2 weeks ago. If you're still confused (as I am) please shout 🙂

Yes, I listen to radio on my iPad and it has not had ads with Unlimited till this past week.

Hi I currently have a Spotify Unlimited subscription but when I log onto my app on my iPhone it says I'm a free user and can only skip 6 songs, but when I'm on my PC it says I have unlimited and I can skip as many as I want? I already uninstalled my app and reinstalled it but that didn't fix the problem. 

Don't worry about responding to this, found out about Spotify's little bait and switch on unlimited users and unsubscribed immediately. 

I am a new subscriber to the Unlimited service. Initially I was not getting ads but now I am.

Doesn't my subscription level free from ads/comercials etc. ? 

If you listen on tablet or phone, there will be ads. Unlimited is ad free only on computer.

Also your Premium may be expireds, check that from online page.

@soggy I'm moving this to the main thread on Unlimited.

@hierospace @silbaco and @judiscariot I'm merging this into another similar thread.

@emandthegang and @mikegwilkinson Merging this into another similar thread.

So essentially people paying for "unlimited" are getting exactly the same deal on mobile as a "free" user. So you are paying $5 dollars for nothing if you are typically using spotify on mobile. This does not seem fair by any standard. This is the start of the downfall of Spotify - happens everytime a company thinks they are smarter than their customers!!

On non-tablet mobile devices, yes. On desktop, no.

@kenmam wrote:

So essentially people paying for "unlimited" are getting exactly the same deal on mobile as a "free" user. So you are paying $5 dollars for nothing if you are typically using spotify on mobile. This does not seem fair by any standard. This is the start of the downfall of Spotify - happens everytime a company thinks they are smarter than their customers!!

Unlimited was never advertised for usage on mobile devices, that has always been and remains a premium feature. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts