Plan

Premium

Country

Device

(Samsung Galaxy S8)

Operating System

(Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

I use spotify on my android and laptop and recently saw that there's been something implemented to change your display name ( https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/Can-I-change-my-display-name/ta-p/4906315 )

however I can't seem to be able to make it work, I can't change it on desktop or mobile, it only lets me change my email address, which I don't want to do, nor do I want to connect it to facebook. I understand that the username cannot be changed (however I think it should be but that's another issue), I'd just like too change my display name. am I missing something? is it not actually possible, or only for certain systems such as apple?

8 Replies

Hi there @rainily15,

thanks for reaching out to the community !

As this is a recently added option, i'd first suggest you perform a clean reinstall of your app following the steps provided here to make sure you're using the latest version of the app.

Then, use a mobile device (Android only) and follow the steps here to change your display name.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

I have spotify on my laptop and my iphone and have been having the same issue. The option to edit my profile isn't there, all I can do is edit my email. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and know it's up to date.

Hi there @mistelm,

thanks for reaching out !

Could you please let me know if you account is Facebook based or Email ?

If you're using the latest version of Spotify on your app, you should be able to follow the steps provided here (If you account isn't Facebook based).

Thanks 🙂

It's email based. There literally is just no "edit profile" option.

Hi @mistelm,

I attached a screenshot from my Premium account on iOS of the 3 steps needed, maybe this will shed some light :

unnamed (3).jpg

Hope this'll help.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

hi, sorry for replying literal months late, but unfortunately this solution didn't work no matter how many times I tried it. trying to select my display name/username does nothing, I can't even change my profile picture on mobile (it only lets me on the computer, which is another odd thing that doesn't seem like it should be un-doable) even though the app is completely up to date. frankly changing your user/display name should be something easily done over all platforms for spotify but I guess that isn't so much the case. maybe it's because I originally made my account on a computer, but I honestly don't remember. maybe I just need to email someone to get it done because for some bizzare reason, no matter how hard I tap on my screen it doesn't let me.

thank you for your suggestion anyway, sorry it didn't help.

nvm. for some reason after posting this i was able to change it. i genuinely have no idea why it didn't work for months before this after trying time and time again, and i still think it should be doable on computer (but i guess that's a set of questions/problems for another day). thanks again, sorry

Hey @rainily15,

Thanks for the info 🙂

Glad to hear it worked out and you were able to update your display name on the phone.

Currently there is no option to change the display name while being logged in to your account on a desktop. We always strive to improve our app and the experience with it and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us.

You can have a look in our Idea Exchange to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion. If there isn't one, you can give give these steps a go and submit your idea. That way other users can also support it. Rest assured that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.   

You can also click here to find more information about how your feedback reaches Spotify.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts