Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Playlists] username displayed in collaborative playlist

[Desktop][Playlists] username displayed in collaborative playlist

When you add songs to a collaborative playlist your username is displayed in the "added by" column (or w/e it's called). This is an issue for people with auto-generated random strings as usernames because that's what's shown to other people in the playlist and not their display name. I guess this was an oversight by the devs... the display name should be used instead. This happens to my wife who is a member of my Duo plan, for example.

Top Answer
Novy

Hey folks, 

We just wanted to let you know that the teams in charge are aware of this issue and currently working on a fix. We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

As @CarlosE mentioned, it's always a good idea to download the desktop app in order to have a better experience. 

If anything else comes up, feel free to reach out in the Community.

Cheers!

17 Replies

Hi there @hoppelr,

thanks for reaching out !

I'll address the issue happening with your wife's account.

Does she own an account connected to Facebook ?

If she does, please make sure to visit the "Privacy Settings" tab here to make sure the "Process My Facebook Data" is turned on.

If she isn't, please follow the steps provided here.

Users should have their desired username / Facebook profile name presented.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

I have the same issue in the Web player. It shows my username (which is stupid; I was I could change it), instead of my display name.

Hi @Protector1,

Thank you for posting on this thread!

Have you tried opening the Web Player in a different browser or incognito window to see if the issue persists? 

Also, please send us the link to the collaborative playlist URI. This will help us investigate it further.

We'll be on the lookout. 

JulianModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi Julian,

I just tried in an incognito tab (Google Chrome Desktop Windows, stable channel) and in Microsoft Edge, but everywhere this issue occurs.

Hi @Protector1,

Thank you for getting back!

Could you try accessing the Web Player using a different internet connection and see if the issue repeats? 

Also, please don't forget to send us the URI to the collaborative playlist you mentioned. 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Sure.

I just tried on a 5G connection by tethering my laptop to my phone. Still the same problem.

The collaborative playlist I'm currently using for testing is this one: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1eYtksBpf5B5E7XTO9WElh

(My display name is "Louis", but it shows my username, "Protector.one". I believe it also shows the username of another user with a set display name.)

Hey there @Protector1

Great to hear from you. 

We'll pass this report to the relevant team, since we were able to reproduce the issue as well. 

We just need to confirm the Windows version you're running.

Also, please send us a screenshot showing how the playlist shows when you open it.

That would be it for now!

MafeGModerator

Hello,

My Windows version is Windows 10 Home 20H2.
A screenshot of the playlist:

[cid:d882c0f6-7027-4cc3-a2c5-55e4f0ee7592]

Sincerely,
Louis

Hey @Protector1

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We weren't able to see the screenshot you sent. Would you mind trying to attach it again? You can attach the image to your next response to us by using the Insert Photos option in the post editor. 

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

This time I attached the image using the post editor.

spotify_playlist_view_field_error.png

Hey @Protector1,

Thanks for getting back in touch and for the screenshot.

Additionally, we'd like to confirm if this is only happening in the web player, or also in the desktop or mobile apps.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

Hi Carlos,

I've only seen it in the web player. I haven't seen it i in the Android app. I've never used the desktop app.

Sincerely,
Louis

Hi @Protector1,

Thanks for your quick reply and confirmation.

We've gone ahead and reported this to the right teams. Although we can't commit to a timeframe for when this will be fixed, we'll keep you posted on any news, as soon as there are any.

In the meantime and if possible, we suggest downloading the desktop app for a better experience. You can do so from our website, or from the Microsoft Store.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Hey folks, 

We just wanted to let you know that the teams in charge are aware of this issue and currently working on a fix. We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

As @CarlosE mentioned, it's always a good idea to download the desktop app in order to have a better experience. 

If anything else comes up, feel free to reach out in the Community.

Cheers!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Any updates on this issue? It looks to still be happening when accessing a collab playlist in the browser.

Hey @weary_youth,

Thanks for the post.

The right teams at Spotify are aware of this issue and we know it's something, which is being worked on. Currently we don't have an official date when this will be fixed. 

We'll let you know in here as soon as we have more information.

AlexModerator

Are there any updates to this issue? It is extremely frustrating as a genderqueer person as I now don't want to add any songs to collaborative playlists since I'm essentially outing myself each and every time I do so since it keeps showing my username (which for some extremely frustrating reason you won't let people change) and not the display name. 

Suggested posts