Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Discover Weekly issues

Discover Weekly issues

I listen to a lot of the premade spotify playlists for background ambient music while working, and I love the selection. However, this is messing up my Discover Weekly algorithm as now all that it recommends to me are ambient music type songs. Before, I used to find some great new indie artists on my Discover Weekly playlist and loved the feature so I am very disapointed that this is happening. Is there a way to turn off the algorithm learning feature while listening to playlists or anything like that? The amount of time I spend listening to the playlists vs my regular music makes it impossible to reset the algorithm on my own by liking songs...which is hard to do to begin with when nothing is being recommended to me! 

6 Replies

Hey @-zw_4t4rgdy9, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Unfortunately there's no way to reset it right now. You can simply give negative feedback when encountering those songs in DW playlist and keep listening to your favorite genre songs and it will eventually change, also check this post for more.

But you can use this feature of Spotify which will allow you to play ambient songs without compromising your DW playlist.

Also, you can your support to these ideas about the algorithm features: 1 & 2.

Hope it helps 🙂

Thank you so much! I will try the private session thing and hopefully that works! It's a shame there isn't a better way to control the algorithm yet but maybe in the future! Thanks again.

Hi,

Have the same need and the Spotify algorithm is just crazy. So after a while when the algorithm/AI has gone completely insane you end up in a useless Discover Weekly playlist and you cannot reset it. I have for a while been selecting "I don't like this artist" for all the Norwegian/Danish songs they suggest (I'm from sweden) and despite that I get 10-15 Danish/Norwgian songs in my Discover Weekly. 😕

This week I have "blocked" 27% of the songs. Thank you Spotify for this amazing feature that you haven't yet done anmything about.

WooLand_0-1602590100295.png

/Adam

Hey @-zw_4t4rgdy9 and @WooLand,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here!

Currently with the way our algorithm is set up, the only way to exclude listening activity from affecting your Discover Weekly playlist is by turning on Private listening as @Loxer suggested.  

Keep in mind that Discover Weekly is based not only on your personal likes and listening activity, but also on those of user with similar tastes or located in the same region. It seems however that other Spotify users also mentioned they'd like to have the option to exclude certain content for that playlist and posted this idea. You can add your support there by up-voting the idea. We'll inform on any developments there, if there are any.

You can find more info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange in this Spotify Answer.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm having the same issue. When I first got my puppy 4 months ago I kept putting relaxing music on to get him to sleep. Haven't listened to any relaxing music for about 3 months and have only been lsitening to my own music interests...yet Discover Weekly, even 3 months on, ONLY gives me sleep music. I've tried creating a new playlist to see if it would change up the algorithm but still nothing. Having to say "i don't like this artist" every week on the discover weekly playlist. So infuriating!

Suggested posts