Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Hacked Account!

Hacked Account!

Hi There,

Someone hacked into my account. Listened to some Blur and The Prodigy (for whatever reason). I have already changed my password.

Do we get some kind of explanation for this from Spotify?  The last thing I read was that they didn't know anything about it.  I want an explanation, an official statement saying "yes, we have been hacked", a "sorry about this", or whatever. 

Someone used my data to spam me on my Twitter account, following me with these random DJ/Mastering music accounts. So obviously they have used my email address to find me on the web. I'm now worried that they will use this information to do other things, which could compromise other details. 

That I'm not happy about this is an understatement. So, what is Spotify saying about this? 

4 Replies

Hi @thetinygiant,

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.

Spotify has not been hacked and our user records are secure. We monitor Pastebin and other sites regularly. When we find Spotify credentials, we first verify that they are authentic, and if they are, we immediately notify affected users to change their passwords, said Spotify in a statement.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I had something very similar happen to me. Was waiting for the train when I looked at my phone and it said I was listening on Louis' Phone (that's not my name). Then I could see the person's recently played music showing up - stuff like Third Eye Blind and Sugar Ray, guess they were on a 90s kick. 

I changed my password but the other stuff still shows up in my library as Recently Played. 

Wondering how this could have happened and if it was widespread or just random bad luck. Curious to hear what other community members have experienced. 

@devofan @thetinygiant

I've seen multiple report this past weekend. Don't know if it's because they use the same password in every service they sign up (which is not good), but it should be considered good practice to update your password just in case.

If you feel your account has been compromised, login to the website and do the following:

Check that your email address is correct (not been altered by someone else) and change the password to a more secure one.

Then, there is option to sign out from all devices in your account's main control panel (at the very bottom).

That should logout of everything, including other people's devices.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks @osornios. I did change my password as soon as I discovered the issue and that seems to be enough, no one changed my email address before I caught on.

I also saw a couple postings on the web saying that Spotify was hacked but that Spotify was denying it. It would have been nice to get an email from Spotify reminding all of us to change our passwords if there had been some kind of security breach. I know I have friends who wouldn't even have noticed if someone else was using their account. But at least it's good to come to the community and get confirmation that I'm not crazy (well, at least not about this)...

Suggested posts