Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

Solved!

How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

139 Replies

If you are friends on Facebook they should be able to find your profile by typing your real name into the search box on the desktop client and then selecting your profile under the search suggestion "Users". You can also find all of your Facebook friends from the Follow tab on the desktop client. 

Of course, that will only work if your account is successfully connected to Facebook, whats your Spotify username @Varianten ?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

My profile name is supermulatt 

thank you for helping out 🙂

Can confirm your account is connected to Facebook fine! 🙂 

When did you connect it, could be a delay in the servers if it was recently. 

In the mean time, if you want to copy and paste your friends the link below that will take them to your Spotify profile:

http://open.spotify.com/user/supermulatt

Peter

I connected the account two days ago. Ok thank you 🙂

sorry men can make a system that is so good way not make the profile seach based on a persons real name instet of the username or both.  

And bay the way love your product 😉

@kaspya30 wrote:

sorry men can make a system that is so good way not make the profile seach based on a persons real name instet of the username or both.  

And bay the way love your product 😉

You can search by real name. Profiles will appear at the top of your results window. 

Running a full search like below should work for anyone:

real name search.png

If you are friends on Facebook, you should also get the person as a search suggestion providing you haven't blocked them in Spotify:

friends real name.png

Peter

ok I try again. sorry for my writhing and spelling. "Sorry but meant make a system that is so good" way not make the profile seach based on a persons real name instet of the username or both.

not on my spotify only artist name appears

I can't find friends in follow but there a friends I know have spotify and I am friends with them on facebook but can't find them. What if I use there the digital number "username" would that work? 

Should do, or if you could get them to send you a playlist of their's 😉 

Peter

Nor on mine. It used to be like that in previous versions of the Mac software, but now I can't find my friends neither from the search bar nor from the dedicated section in the side menu. If I click on "follow" on the side menu, the list of my Facebook friends is empty, tthough I have plenty of them.

Schermata 2013-11-15 alle 16.37.03.png

no that doesnt work peter! is there any other way? with pictures to show the way please!!!

also peter i dont have facebook but my friend i want to follow does. is there anyway i would be able to follow her?

All of the methods (excluding follow tab) are outlined in this tutorial:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Community-Blog/Tutorial-Finding-Friends-All-Methods/bc-p/423...

Peter

Thanks Peter, you are Brilliant! The user name search suggested earlier simply does not work, but the HTTP link worked great. Thanks again. - heidi

Is there no way to just search by name?

@hannarie -- not currently. If you know their username, just typing "spotify:user:[theirusername]" in the search bar will find their profile, then you can Follow them. For example, spotify:user:spotifycares finds one of our Spotify account profiles.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

While the "average" user may have and use facebook, you can tell by these comments that there are a lot of us out there that do not, or choose not to have it synched to their spotify. I understand how the searching for people by their emails would be whatever because of privacy stuff, but how hard would it be to just search someone by their first and last name? I've seen it mentioned a few times in these replies, and it doesn't seem like that would be a breach in privacy. Just saying. I'm trying to find my sister in-law so that I can follow her playlists, but I have no contact information for her to ask for a link to a playlist, and I also have NO idea what her username might be. But I do know her name.... 

Mine says "Profiles", no "Users". I was typing in "Samantha"...

In the latest versions of Spotify for Mac OS X contacts can't even be found via search box. It's getting worse and worse. And when I go to the friends tab in the side menu no friends are present. By the way, my account is linked with Facebook, but the friends search is a total mess, maybe the only important bug in Spotify.

Suggested posts