Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

Solved!

How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

139 Replies

Profiles and Users are the same thing, I can seem to search by real name now even for people I am not friends with on Facebook. Just search for a name then press "See More" beside profiles at the top of the search window.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Would this be possible if I'm not connected with facebook?

You could search for others who are connected to Facebook (and therefore profile has their real name), but they wouldn't be able to find your account unless they did the spotify:user:Username search.

Peter

I'm sorry. Doesn't work for me. Since I downloaded Spotify the Friends section shows no friends, even though my account is connected with my Facebook account (but I don't log in to Spotify via Facebook). In the last versions I can't even find friends with the search box, and yet I have plenty of them.

I still didn't find her, even with what her name is on FB so she must not have connected on spotify. I'll ask her next time I see her for a link to a playlist. Y'all have been very helpful, thanks. I would suggest that you guys make it to where every user has their full name at least in their profile info, and make the user search available for any first and last name. That would be user friendly to us without the facebooks. I love your product, keep up the good work!

thank you sooooosoosooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking for a friend and searching for them, I clicked Show All but no Users section is displaying...  When I try adding spotify:user before the name the search doesn't function at all.

The spotify:user search function requires you to know the exact Spotify username of your friend. If your friends username is Abc123 and you search for Abc12, nothing will show up.

Dont foget to KUDOS if you think this post helpful 🙂

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

No uppercase S
spotify:user:<username>
Not
Spotify:user:<username>

this did not work for me, I couldn't even find my own user name, in my profile its just a number?

Your account is linked to facebook and you search for facebook friends differently. Type your facebook name into the main search bar and it appears in the results list. "spotify:user:username" is used to search for accounts not linked to facebook.

How about replacing `spotify:user:[username]` with @[username] ?

I guess that would make sense, might be worth suggesting it over on the Ideas Exchange:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/idb-p/ideaexchange

It would require a little code to do the translation in the background, as spotify:user:username is actually the identifier for the page, similar to identifiers for tracks.

Peter

I love spotify but they do make some things very difficult when they could be so so easy... i cant add my friends and i have premium. Very annoying. Come in Spotify. Sort it out.

@Replicant07 - I put together a tutorial with all of the methods to find friends which may help:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Community-Blog/Tutorial-Finding-Friends-All-Methods/bc-p/423...

Peter

Don't use the brackets [ ]. It should work.

As a non-facebook user, I was able to find a friend this way, THANK YOU!

Since I do not have facebook this was very helpful!

It worked for me, just paste "spotify:user:" in the search engine and directly after that (without a space or { in between,) enter their username. it worked when I did it!

Suggested posts