Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My username is just numbers. No way to change that?

My username is just numbers. No way to change that?

Plan

Premium

Country

ICE

Device

(iPhone 7, Lenovo)

Operating System

(Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

Hi

In community and account I've can log in with my username but when I log in elsewhere, to the app in computer and phone, I need to use numbers... and then the apperance is also numbers not username. Why is that?

This article was no help: https://support.spotify.com/uk/account_payment_help/account_basics/change-my-username/

7 Replies

Hey @arnigummi, and welcome to the community.

Hope you're doing great! 

I'm sorry to hear this. Yes, that link you showed me has all the info about changing your username. It also has a section 'Change Username' for some alternative options if you don't like your current username.

For more info, refer to the link you shared with me, for further help. If you need help with anything else, just let me know! 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @arnigummi,

Just to confirm, was your account created through Facebook?

If so, it's possible that you might have opted out for sharing data with Facebook.

This would explain why you see your username as a string of numbers instead of your Facebook name as your displayed name.

In that case, I'd recommend checking if the option "Facebook Processing Data" is enabled here. (Spotify needs to be allowed to have access to your personal data in order for your display name to be changed).

You can also log in on your Facebook profile and make sure that you have granted Spotify access to your personal information, for example, your name. You can do this from here.

Keep in mind that it might take up to 48 hours for the changes to be reflected on your Spotify profile. 

Let me know how you get on 🙂

Hi Brunelicia

Thank you for your reply 🙂

Yes, my account was created through Facebook. Now I've opted out and I would like to have that like that. Cant see any reason to keep these two connected. From what you say if I dont like to have Spotify connected to Facebook I´m stuck with this string of numbers. Is that right?

Hi Billy-J

Thank you for your answer.

Noting to be sorry about 🙂 This all has it reason but in this case I dont understand why. Also there is no sink on profile pictures on the app and on the account... I've two different avatar there. Anyway, these are not biggies. I´m happy with Spotify.

Hi @arnigummi,

If you opted out of sharing Facebook data with your Spotify Account, then the alphanumeric sequence will be your username.

The only way to change that is if you create a new account and choose a display name.

You can check this article again in the part "My username is just numbers and letters?" for more info about your username. 🙂

@arnigummi,

Currently, Spotify does not allow users to change their usernames after account creation, according to many because of the way playlists are created and linked to accounts.

Spotify does however, listen to their customers when choosing new features and or changes to add in future updates. Voting at the following Spotify Community post could help encourage the developers to allow username changes.

The poll is here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Account-Change-Username/idi-p/703799

Sorry again for the dissapointing news.

Hey @arnigummi.

If you are considering to create a new account, here's what you can do so you don't lose anything:

Make sure your music collection is stored in public playlists. You can then visit your old account with your new account and grab all your songs from there. You’ll be able to visit your old account by putting the following string in the search bar:  spotify:user:username

Don't forget to replace username with your old username (the numbers and letters). Oh and by the way, If you want to use the same email address for your new account, you'll have to close your old account. You'll have 7 days to visit your old account and find your music there. You’ll also need to cancel your subscription on your old account, in case you have a Premium account.

We hope you'd like to try this! It's a lot quicker than it might seem. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

Suggested posts