Premium

Country

USA

Device

Dell XPS 13

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

For the past several days I have been having persistent issues with Spotify on my desktop. I have never had these issues before and I have been using Spotify for years. The phone app and browser version work just fine but I keep not being able to use the desktop app because Spotify says it's not connected. And when I try to log out and log back in, I get another error (code 34 I think?) about a firewall. I have tried every single fix offered in these forums, the issue keeps coming back. Restarting my computer works to fix it maybe 50% of the time, but restarting all the time just to use spotify is annoying. I did a quick reinstall as well as a complete reinstall,  and both of these fixed the issue temporarily - but it just comes back the next day. Changing my DNS server didn't work at all, changing my proxy settings didn't work at all. I am in the right country. I am so frustrated as a paying customer of Spotify to be facing these repeated issues.

7 Replies

Hi there @maniluvsu

thanks for reaching out to the community !

Sorry to hear you're having an issue.

Could you please let me know the following :

- Your Spotify version

- Your Spotify app - downloaded from the website or Microsoft version

- Which type of internet connection are you using

- Have you tried using your desktop app on a different connection

- Does Spotify have all permissions needed on any firewall/anti-virus apps

- Win OS + Audio drivers fully updated

Thanks for your cooperation.

Waiting on your update 🙂

- Your Spotify version/Your Spotify app/downloaded from the website or Microsoft version

I don't know where to check this. The app won't let me log in so I can't see anything inside it. I downloaded the Microsoft version. Should I try from the website? I can't find the version information on the Microsoft store.

EDIT: Was able to log in on a VPN and found this: 1.1.31.703.g256add22 (Microsoft Store version)

- Which type of internet connection are you using

It's a wifi connection. 

- Have you tried using your desktop app on a different connection

Not yet, I am stuck at home due to social distancing and as such only have access to my home's wifi network (2.4 and 5 GHz). Should I try to setup a hotspot on my phone and see if that works?

EDIT: Was able to log in using a VPN. Not sure if this is a temporary fix or not but everything seems to be working fine.

- Does Spotify have all permissions needed on any firewall/anti-virus apps

Yes. I actually removed my antivirus programs (I used to have malwarebytes which was causing issues with my browser) but the issue persists.

- Win OS + Audio drivers fully updated

Yes, everything is fully updated.

Also, now the error message upon attempting to log in on my wifi has changed from accesspoint:34 to auth:15. What does this mean?

EDIT: Right after I wrote all this out, I tried to log on using my school's VPN and it seems as though everything works as normal. (I'm not sure if this is temporary because the issue has been on and off). This must mean it's an issue with my internet, right?

Hi @maniluvsu,

thanks for taking the time to answer my questions !

First i want to point out the Spotify is recommended to be used on a solid internet connection - Home network / WiFi and not VPN.

Using VPN can effect the function of the app therefore i wouldn't recommend it.

In addition, using your phone to create a Hot spot is indeed a good idea.

Let me know how that went.

The errors you're getting are a notification that something in your system it blocking the app from working.

I would also recommend disconnecting your modem/router for a full minute and plug it back in as it can restart some of the settings as well.

Last but not least, as it is slightly similar to your issue, i would follow this thread as it is a live and under investigation issue.

Keep me posted 🙂

@OneByBoo

Okay, I stopped using the VPN in that case. Using my mobile hotspot seems to be working as well, so I guess it is just a network issue or something. I will try fixing my modem/router tonight (it is hard, having 4 people all working/studying from home relying on the internet!)

I have been looking at that thread but the proposed solutions haven't worked for me. 😞

Hi @maniluvsu

thanks for putting your faith in my suggestions !

As you've tried running the app on multiple devices and different network i can now say that the issue you're experiencing is indeed network related and not an app issue.

Let me know what happens when you try dealing with the modem.

I hope this'll solve the issue.

I'm always around, keep me posted 🙂

@OneByBoo Well, the phone app and browser version work just fine, even when connected to my home wifi network. I only face log-in/internet issues on the desktop app. So it doesn't fully make sense that it would be a wifi problem. But, I'll still restart the modem later and let you know how that goes.

Update: I stopped using the VPN and used my mobile hotspot which did work. I never got around to restarting the modem. But once I was able to log in with the VPN/mobile hotspot I haven't faced any further problems, even on my home network. I'm not sure what I did that fixed it but it has been working on wifi since yesterday evening and I haven't faced issues all day.

Suggested posts