Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Not Getting Advertised Promotional Rate - 99 Cents for Three Months

Solved!

Not Getting Advertised Promotional Rate - 99 Cents for Three Months

When I logged in under my trial on the splash page it showed a promotion for the first three months of premium at 99 cents per month. When I activated premium I did not get the promotional rate. How do I get this fixed? I was charged the normal $9.99 per month.

MODERATOR EDIT:

Hi everyone, thanks for coming to the Spotify Community to reach out with your questions.

As many of you have already posted, the offer for 3 months for .99 USD is available to users that have never had Premium on their account before (via a subscription or a trial). We have more info about this holiday offer here on our FAQ page as well.

Please know we’ve read your comments on this and we’re passing on your feedback around this offer.

If you have had an any further questions about your subscription please get in touch with us via the contact form so we can take a closer look at your account. You’ll then hear from our team shortly, thanks!

142 Replies

If you go into Spotify's FAQ, under holiday deal it descirbes the guidelines to be able to obtain the $0.99 which includes not having purchased a subscription OR A FREE TRIAL at any time beforehand on the account you are trying to purchase on.  So Im making another account right now under a different email and trying to findi a easy way to transfer playlists.

So it spossible to get it if you dont meet the prior criteria, itll just take some work to get it the way you wont it, but its worth the money.

I'm sorry, but I wasn't aware that we are expected to dig down into poorly advertised FAQs and other barely visible content to find out all the "gotchas" that Spotify uses to squeeze money out of its rubes, er, members.  That stuff should be presented on the advertisement itself, with an asterisk to some small print below or featured in the ad copy.  

I would have never thought to seek out more information to begin with because the ads I saw (and heard) said "99¢ for three months" full stop.  No caveats, no restrictions, nothing.

I could bury a FAQ in my own website that says every time I respond to a message thread everyone on here owes me $1,000, doesn't make it legit now does it?  In fact as far as I can tell, Spotify's own terms and conditions, linked to on the subscribe page, say nothing of this requirement to be a new customer:

3.3 Trials

From time to time, we may offer trials of the Premium Service and/or Mobile Service for a specified period without payment (a “Trial”). Spotify reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to determine your eligibility for a Trial, and to withdraw or to modify a Trial at any time without prior notice and with no liability.

For some Trials, we’ll require you to provide your payment details to start the Trial. At the end of such Trials, we may automatically start to charge you for the Premium Service on the first day following the end of the Trial, on a recurring monthly basis. By providing your payment details in conjunction with the Trial, you agree to this charge. If you do not want this charge, you must change your Subscription to the Free Service through your Spotify account’s settings before the end of the Trial.

…all this tells me is they reserve the right to screw potential customers anytime, anywhere.  Standard legalese which means those of us who put our faith in the advert are screwed out of money.

So I just got an e-mail from support that this offer is for customers that have never had a paid subscription before. The funny part is that he said the explanation is in the freaking Spotify TOS (terms of service). So I told them that they seriously need to list that under the advertised deal thats right on the homepage or at least put a astict symbol so we know that restrictions apply. 

how did you manage to get the deal unlocked? I'm stuck and is still trying to charge the full price.

Really, what the f*** , shady fake advertising. I want my money back, I'm going to my credit card company and asking for a refund.

If you're not logged into Spotify and go here https://www.spotify.com/us/holiday there's some fine print on the bottom with a link to the "Spotify Introductory Trial Offer Terms and Conditions" https://www.spotify.com/us/legal/intro-offer-terms-and-conditions This was the only place it was advertised that any restrictions were specified. The offer was advertised on the Spotify home page when I was logged in with no restrictions listed. This is unacceptable, considering that the people who would actually need to know about those restrictions would already have an account and are probably already logged in. I'm with all y'all; the rules and restrictions need to be clear wherever the deal is advertised, and they at least need to be alluded to in the audio advertisement between songs.

This is complete bull. Not only was I mislead now I am being forced into paying $11 for this one month cause I clicked the link? And I'm a student so I could've just used the discounted rate. SCREW YOU TOO SPOTIFY. I should be able to get a full refund as I cancelled the subscription as soon as I saw how much I was charged. But no, the only way spotify can make money is to LIE. 

They could've included the fine print on the advertisement page, instead trying to gouge customers. Jerks. You realize these actions will only drive away potential premium customers from the original users right? Ie, a loss in profits? Spotify you should fix this before more customers leave and you go bankrupt. 

They should stop the ad IMHO then. It is misleading...

Had an issue with the text editor, fixed them, they should work now.

I'm already looking for alternatives, screw spotify

Is it a false promotion or what? I have the same issue, I should read this forum before. Does anyone knownif it's just an error in the receipt?

I requested a refund and they said they would provide me with one. Be sure to cancel your subscription. Exact quote from email:

The promotion for $0.99 for three months of premium service is only available for any user who hasn't had a paid subscription before. 

Full terms and conditions of this promotion can be found here.

However, I see that you cancelled your subscription the same day you got charge, this means that I can actually give you the refund for the last payment, but first I need a few details to make sure you’re the owner of the account."

I also fell for this. Spotify should do the right thing here. I'm very disappointed and will not recommend Spotify to anybody in the future. This is just shameful.

Apparently this is only for new subscribers who have never used the free trial. It's not clear in the advertisement. I feel ripped off.

I got 3 monts premium for $0.99 + tax

I just emailed Spotify that I'm upset this happened, and about how I would have just used the student discount had I known, and they emailed me back saying this:

"It looks like your most recent payment didn’t go through at the student discount rate. To fix this, I can redeem an extra 1 month Premium subscription to your account, for this inconvenience. 
Also I've had a look at your account and seen that you subscribed to our 30-day Premium trial on 2014-07-26. Unfortunately, this Holiday offer will only be available to customers who have never had any Premium trials before."

Which I'm okay with, because basically that means I'm paying for 2 months premium with a student discount.

I still think they should have been more clear though because a lot of people got ripped off today.

It took a couple of emails and a little bit of time but I finally got a response from Spotify with the "'R' word" in it. Will update if they do or do not follow through. 

*Edit*- Issued refund in 3-5 business days. 

I've the same problem 😞

I was charged the $9.99 and i heard on a spotify commercial that it was .99$ and even on the website it says so. That is until you click on the link, it misleads you

I'm curious to know who/how you all were able to contact Spotify.  I filled out the forum under Contact Us (which I only found through a search engine) and haven't heard back from anyone beyond an automated reply.

Suggested posts