Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

ONE(!) stream at a time? No family plan?

ONE(!) stream at a time? No family plan?

Look...I know this subject has probably been beat to death, but sorry, I just had to start a new thread for emphasis.

Two things:

1)  I have been a Google Play Music subscriber.  I can have, I believe, up to TEN devices streaming at the same time. Never tried that, but I know for sure I can have two. Spotify limits streaming to ONE device, ONE?  For the same money?  WTF?

2)  I have seen talk for at least a couple years of Spotify introducing family plans. And still nothing?

Please tell me I am wrong about (1) and (2), but if I am not...

UNBELIEVABLE.

And tremendously dissapointing.

--

Bill

6 Replies

Hey there @wsalopek, welcome to the community!

1. "With Google Play Music, you can listen to your library on your computer and up to ten mobile devices. While you can use multiple devices with the same account, you can only play music using one device at a time.
    • Google Play Music All Access subscribers can listen to unlimited music on up to four mobile devices.

If you play music on multiple devices at the same time using the same account, playback will be paused so you can choose which device you'd like to use. To help ensure uninterrupted playback, make sure you're listening to music using one device or computer at a time." - Source.

With Spotify, you can listen on any device you want. However, like Google, you can only play music using one device at a time. We also only allow tracks to be saved for offline use for three devices.

2. There has been talk about introducing family plans, but it's hard to get it implemented due to the complexity. Spotify uses a special formula to pay out artists unlike other streaming services that pay per stream. Although, the team is thinking on how to make it work... so it is coming.

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

There's also a very popular suggestion for a family subscription currently under consideration here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Discount-Family-Subscriptions/idi-p/2275. You should add your kudos and comments to that topic to show your support.

Merik,

Google Play multiple streams...

Google Play does allow more than one stream at a time....I am listening on the computer and my phone as I type this.

Family subscription....

I hear you, the problem is "complex"...but good grief...how complex can it be?  YEARS in the making?  YEARS?

TOTALLY unsatisfactory performace by a company in a competitive business.

Anyway, the ONE STREAM thing is a deal breaker for me.  

I know things cost what they cost, but holy cow, if I wanted my wife and I and two kids to all have access, that's $40/month...some cable TV packages (where we can all watch something different at the same time), don't cost as much.

No.

One stream online, 3 streams offline 😉

"Offline" is not streaming.

Anyway, I meant, well, streaming as in files that are not stored locally. Thought that was obvious.

@wsalopek wrote:
"Offline" is not streaming.

Anyway, I meant, well, streaming as in files that are not stored locally. Thought that was obvious.

I corrected the link in my previous post, which was an invalid URL.

The Framily plan discount, mentioned in the post, is a promising development, showing that Spotify is interested in figuring out a way to introduce a family plan.

Suggested posts