NEXT STEP

Overview of Region Locked Content

Overview of Region Locked Content

Plan

Premium

Country

The Netherlands/Japan

My Question or Issue

I've been using Spotify since 2010, with a Dutch account (Premium). I moved to Japan a few years ago, when Spotify was not yet active in Japan. It's been up for a few years now, but I haven't changed my region because there are region locks, and I don't know what content will become unavailable for me if I do. On the other hand, there is Japanese content I cannot access now. Is there a way to see what content is locked in which region, so I can consider changing regions?

3 Replies

Hi there @drumdriven

thanks for reaching out to the community !

Unfortunately, grayed out content or unavailable content varies between countries around the world.

As this content is different between places, there isn't an option or a list that shows exactly what's missing.

You can read more about the subject on this information page.

Hope this shed some light.

Let me know if you have any further questions 🙂

I am trying to gain a better understanding of how this region locked content works, as this applies to me too. Allow me to elaborate.

I was an early adopter of Spotify, got a premium account while i was still a student in the UK. Am back in Malaysia now and contemplating to make the switch to a Malaysia account as it is cheaper. Questions:

1) Is content dependent on where you created the account? I am still listening on the UK account while i am in Malaysia and have not encountered any "greyed-out" content, yet...
2) Is content dependent on where you are? For eg: Able to access UK content when you're in the UK, US content when you're in the US etc. Similar to Netflix.

I hope i am making sense, do reach out for further clarification. Thanks in advance!

Hey there @amns500!

Thanks for the question, we'll gladly provide you with some more info 🙂

Availability of music can vary over time and between countries, depending on the permissions from rights holders. To answer your questions in detail:

1. The content you get depends on the country your account is currently registered in, so if you change to Malaysia, you'll not be able to see the music and podcasts that are only available in the UK. For this change to take place you'll need to follow the steps here.
  2. Availability is not directly country based, which means that you'll still be able to enjoy music from all over the world, but there are some differences in the catalogs depending on the agreements with licence holders.

We hope this shines some light on the situation. We're always here if any other questions pop up!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Suggested posts