Announcements

Please stop asking me to reset the password every week

Please stop asking me to reset the password every week

Stefpist

I've got a Family/Premium account and the account out of the 6 that I use personally gets the password reset every week, which is a bit annoying.

I get an email saying the password needs to be reset "due to detected suspicious activity".

I connect to Spotify from my phone and my laptop, and I would guess the "suspicious" activity comes from the fact that I use my company's VPN (otherwise I couldn't work) and that changes IP/country every day, so maybe that's it.

Still, it's annoying, anyone has any ideas on how to make it stop?

Thanks

5 Replies

paulafb64

Exactly the same thing is happening to me. It's extremely annoying, not only because I can't access my email at work to reset the password, but also (and especially) because you can't go back to passwords you've already used before, so I have to come up with new random passwords every time, which I'll most probably forget.

Spotify should fix their issue with VPNs. I don't mind them letting me know if they think there's been suspicious activity, but they shouldn't force us to change our password if we don't want to.

Maxim

Hey @Stefpist and @paulafb64 ,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Community.

In this case, I recommend following the steps that are listed in the spoiler on this page.

After you've done that, we can check if it's the private network causing the issue by:

1. not using Spotify via the VPN for a day or two
  2. monitoring the behaviour of the app with and without VPN

Let me know how it goes 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Stefpist

Excuse me @Maxim, but what does exactly mean to "monitoring the behaviour of the app"?

Because first of all I am not using the app, but accessing Spotify from the web (I can't install apps on my company computer), and anyway I do use it with and without VPN depending on the work I need to do and there is no change in the so-called behavior of Spotify. 

Maxim

Hey @Stefpist ,

Thanks for your reply.

VPNs can cause issues such as the one you had experienced as they can mask the real IP address and the device that is being used to access your account (through the web player, in this case). Depending on the type of VPN, it might also switch between multiple IPs from different locations.

A lot of sites and services will either block known VPN IPs or it can be a reason to trigger security protocols based on location and device access. In other words, using a VPN can make the security system think that your account is being accessed by multiple unknown locations, which in turn would trigger an automated password reset to your account.

Spotify does not currently block VPN usage, but they also do not support it so they can't guarantee that the service would work as expected when using one.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Stefpist

Thanks Maxim for the reply, I do appreciate all of that, but I would expect a question like "Was that you?" before forcing me to change password whiteout checking with me first, like Amazon does, by the way: they check with me to make sure it's still me even if apparently.

I guess they just have better tech than Spotify does, oh well.

So bottom line there is no solution to this issue, good to know.

Suggested posts

Env: prod