Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Please stop asking me to reset the password every week

Please stop asking me to reset the password every week

I've got a Family/Premium account and the account out of the 6 that I use personally gets the password reset every week, which is a bit annoying.

I get an email saying the password needs to be reset "due to detected suspicious activity".

I connect to Spotify from my phone and my laptop, and I would guess the "suspicious" activity comes from the fact that I use my company's VPN (otherwise I couldn't work) and that changes IP/country every day, so maybe that's it.

Still, it's annoying, anyone has any ideas on how to make it stop?

Thanks

Top Answer
Alex
Spotify Legend

Hi there @Avith,

Thanks for the post.

The password reset prompt comes when our system detects suspicious activity on your account. It can sometimes be triggered if you're logging in from multiple devices, like multiple new computers or phones. It can also happen if you're travelling abroad frequently, since the system would detect that you're logging in from different countries. 

In the worst case scenario, someone is trying to log in to your account multiple times with a wrong password. This can happen if your email address is leaked somewhere.

There is no way to manually stop this prompt though, as it runs on automated algorithms. 

One thing you can try is to change the email associate with your account to a new one, which you don't use for other services.

Hope this info helps.

41 Replies

We have similar issue with Spotify regularly resetting our (my account and my spouse's) passwords due to detected suspicious activity. We are only playing Spotify in our Roku device nothing else. We are also not using VPN. It is getting really annoying.

VPN: None
Device: Roku Ultra
Number of Logged In Devices: Only 1

Spotify logs us out of the app on a regular basis. Forcing us to reset our password due to detected suspicious activity. We are only playing Spotify on Roku nothing else.

We even created new account (with new email) as one moderator suggested and guess what... we are now on our 3rd account.

The main annoyance is Spotify forcibly logging us out. It would be great if we are only notified of suspicious activity and let us decide what action to take. But NO... Spotify just decides to kick us out of the app no questions asked. This is extremely annoying!!!

Suggested posts