Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium account compromised, email/password changed without permission

Premium account compromised, email/password changed without permission

Hello,

I just received an email from Spotify that my email address was changed. This change was without my permission and it looks like my password was changed as well. I can login with Facebook but I'm unable to change my email or password without knowing what it was changed to, obviously.

I responded to account-details-changed@spotify.com as well as @SpotifyCares on Twitter but this is an urgent matter. How long does it normally take to get a response? 

To prevent issues like this, is Spotify planning on offering two-factor authorization of some sort? I'm not sure I feel comfortable using Spotify or paying for Spotify Premium anymore, knowing that my account and information are not secure.

Help, please.

//Simon

2 Replies

Hey @Civrock

I suggest you contact support so they can help you

https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-anonymous/

You will be able to enter a specific email address so that support can reply back to you.

Make sure you are logged out of any Spotify account when using the contact form or the username and email field will not show up. It is important so that you can enter the information of the account you are having trouble with. If you are logged in with a different account that is not having the problem, that account info will be used and support will be confused.

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

For 2FA, give a kudo to this idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/2-factor-authentication/idi-p/1017889

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I'm sorry to say that Spotify does not really understand the importantness of user security. I got my account compromised during my vacation and Spotify answered with shutting down my account just the moment when I needed it the most. They adviced me to change email address since the hijacker knew my email address, how about that Spotify implement 2FA and get their sh*t together instead so we user do not need to worry about someone stealing our credit card data.

Suggested posts