Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Removing invasive email notifications of playlist updates

Solved!

Removing invasive email notifications of playlist updates

Hello guys!

First of all, I'd like to add that Spotify is one of the most appreciated programmes on my computer, and that I use it regularily, as such I like sharing my playlists with my friends. This however doesn't mean that I like that my friends and spotify contacts get emails as soon as I update one of my playlists. Nu-uh, that's where I draw my line, I don't want my friends to know when and what quite simply.

How do I remove this rather invasive and unwanted procedure?

Kind regards

-trance

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I tried to contact Spotify three times about this, with no response at all. As I promised to leave Spotify if they wouldn't do anything, I'm now giving Grooveshark a try. It seems to work fine, so I recommend others to do the same thing.

Even if they fix this, I don't trust them to not suddenly do something similar in the future again.

View solution in original post

38 Replies

Someone please answer this!! My boss just recieved an email that said : Benjam.... updated his bla bla with the song "hits from the bong"
:S

Hello.

You can change email notifactions from the Edit Profile page right here

Airhorn Enthusiast

Yeah, but i can only change whether i want to recieve mails, not if i want so send dem...
Thanks anyway..

Agreed.  This is really annoying.  My co-worker keeps telling me that he gets emails that I'm adding to a playlist.  How do I make my updates private? If I can't, I'm leaving Spotify.

The only option that can be managed for this if you wish to recieve emails. There is currently no option to change which emails are sent. Your co-worker would have to manage their settings on their Profile page. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

I have already posted about this but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me the ability to turn this feature off!

Can someone confirm that this will be addressed?

I am similar to the users above in that if everytime I change a playlist, people I know are emailed about it, I will stop using Spotify.

Agreed, so annoying! Please sort it out Spotify! All my friends are compalining about this!

When can we expect to have reasonable privacy options? Or should we just assume that this will go the way that Facebook privacy always does?

I agree completely with the complaints voiced in this thread! A friend just forwarded me an email she received re: an update to my playlist "DubLove". She's not even on Spotify. I have no idea who else got that email. Why are random gmail contacts getting realtime updates? And WHY is there no way to turn this off?

Spotify - PLEASE FIX THIS. As noted by other users, I love Spotify but will have to stop using it if friends/coworkers are being spammed 😞

When you right-click the playlist on the left are there any checkmarks anywhere?

Community Ergo Sum

PerBonomi,

Yes, there are 2 checkmarks: one next to "Available Offline" and one next to "Publish." What does that have to do with Facebook friends receiving playlist update emails, when they shouldn't?

Perhaps Spotify is doing this on purpose? How, exactly, do you have code in your software that sends playlist updates to random Facebook friends, accidentally?

Removing the "publish" checkmark should stop updating people when you change a playlist.

For more answers please have a look here:

http://www.spotify.com/uk/help/faq/social/

Community Ergo Sum

PerBonomi,

Your response is not only useless, it also shows the lack of regard you have here for the posts in this thread, which is insulting. You're adivsing me to stop using the features of Spotify, so the bug we're encountering doesn't persist? And you really think I haven't scoured Spotify's FAQ's along with dozens of Google search results? Believe me, I want a solution. I'm willing to do anything within reason to get that solution.

What will stop playlist upates from being sent to people who are not subscribed to it? I do not want to unpublish the playlist. I have subscribers who should receive updates. The solution here isn't for me to unpublish the playlist, but for Spotify to fix whatever is wrong. Stop sending updates to random Facebook friends.

This is so terrible. As others have said Spotify SHOULD NOT send emails to MY FRIENDS without MY PERMISSION. If there is no way to change this i will quit using spotify (the new "Zune" is supposed to have all the feature and more anyways..)

I am considering reporting this to facebook and not being in complicance with their no spam policy. It a horrible approach at viral marketing and completely inapropriate to send mails to MY FRIENDS without MY CONSENT.

-Very Pissed Off.

This is rubbish. People who aren't subscribed to any of my playlists or who aren't even on spotify are getting spammed every time I do anything. What gives? THIS IS RUBBISH!

Marked as solution

I tried to contact Spotify three times about this, with no response at all. As I promised to leave Spotify if they wouldn't do anything, I'm now giving Grooveshark a try. It seems to work fine, so I recommend others to do the same thing.

Even if they fix this, I don't trust them to not suddenly do something similar in the future again.

@hettoo wrote:

Just a note that if you really care about the rights holders who make a living from Music, then do not use Grooveshark. The are literally being sued by all the major music labels for copyright infringement and non-payment of royalties. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Very nice, but they don't make me send emails.

To clarify: I'd rather choose a company which is making some trouble than one which tries to make money by spamming users mail contacts and ignores their complaints.

Suggested posts