Samsung Smart tv app going away?

Solved!

Samsung Smart tv app going away?

Kris17
Casual Listener
I just got notice that the app on my Samsung Smart tv is going away on Aug 31st. Is this true and why?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

seege
Not really a solution there... spotify connect wpnt work with my tv without upgrading. Dissappointed. Time to end my subscription!

View solution in original post

58 Replies

fudjdh

YouTube, Netflix, HBO GO, Prime and others are still updating their apps on my 2014 Samsung TV, but Spotify not only isn't, but decided to take the app down all together. It's obviously not about the users' convinience, at least you could explain what it's about. I'm unfortunately canceling my subscription after 5 years. 

Simsimera

I have paid almost $3000 for my samsung smart tv , mainly to enjoy all the apps.  I have used spotify on my smart tv often! Now it is gone! Okay then , it is time to cancel my subscription! 

parvanst

Spotify have proven to be a company that does not respect their customers. maybe they have a new genius manager who smoke a lot of mary jane and one morning woke up with the brilliant idea to **bleep** everything and then asked for promotion

VERY Disapointed

eah16635
Music Fan

All of the apps for all devices are gone! WHAT THE **bleep** IS SPOTIFY DOING ? CAN ANYONE GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER ?

eah16635
Music Fan

The Samsung TV app   the Roku app, and the Amazon Fire Stick app are gone.  Something is really wrong. this doesn't make any sense. Spotify would not be willing to loose so many premium  customers.   That is a lot of money.  Something is wrong. 

samsung4kTV

I do have one of the Samsung TV's which runs Tizen 2.0, so I understand the frustration.

This will make it harder for me to sell the TV as it now has less capability than it did when I purchased it.

Jaapus
Music Fan

That's the case. I don't think Spotify had any impact on Samsung's decision. It's the case of Tizen. Only Android will be supported. End of story. So either we can use a chromecast or mirror the screen to our tvs.

Another option is to play music from your android device through bluetooth. My other home theather has BT, so that's how I listen to Spotify. Unfortunately my primary sound system and my living room TV do not support BT (well TV allegedly has BT but only for communication with the remote), but Spotify app was there. But now the only solution (workaround) I found is the mirroring (I don't know if all phones support this feature, since my 2 phones are Samsungs).

jeanwenshan

me too

Jaapus
Music Fan

Perhaps somebody fom Spotify will finally tell us what the f..k happened!? I lost my app today. A samung H series tv. December 2014. 2.5 years old tv. Crazy!!!

I know it's the case with Samsungs software  but I need a way to play it! F..K!!!

Jaapus
Music Fan

I found a workaround, I guess. maybe 2.

The app seems to be gone forever, since it will only be available on Samsung TVs with Android software....

Guys, but try this:

install Samsung connect or Screen Mirroring on you phone, tablet or whatever android device you have, mirror it to your smart TV and play it that way. You will see the phone super narrow phone screen on TV, but I have an option in my Samsung TV to turn the screen off. But the sound plays fine. If you have any home theater connected to your TV, you can play it through it.

I still need to try the second option, i.e. via the built-in web browser. that should work as well and imho that will be also ok, since I hated the app although it was convenient to use any workarounds.

I really hope I helped just a bit.

edit: I tried the web browser, but it says it does not support the spotify web player...

this would leave us with playing music via spotify app on an adroid device and mirroring the device's screen to tv.

I can't find any other workaround right now.

Quality of sound is a bit off, but I will live with that.

I'm buying PS4 soon, so I'll have the app back

Samsung7series
Casual Listener

Holy unbelievable discontinuation, Batman!

My 7-series Samsung TV which cost me $1500 and was marketed as having Spotify and Skype among other software, is just over 3 years old. First Skype disappeared - annoying but no deal breaker, since I only used it occasionally. But Spotify was my second most used TV app next after Netflix! Until today, apparently!!!

I just got home from working long hours all week and turned on the TV - my only excuse for a sound system at home - to listen to a Spotify playlist and it's gone! No explanation, no nothing. Are you **bleep**ting me? I've had a Premium account for years and this is how you treat me? Well you can take your streaming service and shove it!

Thank god where I live products have to work as advertised for at least 5 years, or you can return them for a full refund according to law. Spotify's name was used in the ads. Guess how happy Samsung is gonna be when half of Norway starts returning our 2 and 3 year old TVs for refunds due to YOUR **bleep**up!

Samsung7series
Casual Listener

Hey guess what Spotify? Due to your bleep-up I was just reimbursed 1/3 of what I paid for my now nearly 4-year old TV. According to law I could have gotten all of my money back and returned the sucker, but I decided to play nice and only asked to be given back an amount equal to what I had paid extra for a smart TV, compared to a lesser, cheaper, not-so-smart TV.

The electronics store acknowledged that the TV was no longer as advertised, and compensated me for it just like the law says they have to. Bet they love you now....

[edited for spelling]

Kirandhawa
Casual Listener

After four years though? That's a long time... surely there must be a term length for this sort of thing? Especially electronics. 

What country do you live in? US? UK? 

Samsung7series
Casual Listener

There is, and it's 5 years. So 1 year left. Norway's consumer protection laws are kinda tough...

Tabbi68
Casual Listener

That's a pretty amazing law @Samsung7Series! I wish more countries had it...

Shamx123

First this i did was to delete my premium subscription and then i am looking for a solution

if not i will simply switch to other options available in market. Its just shows however careless spotify is about its customers

ignorant345

Are the creators of spotify so rich and ignorant now that they have forgotten that not everyone can just go out and buy a new tv? Did you guys forget that at one time you didn't have millions? Or were you born to a rich family and never had to experience working hard every day just to save up for a new tv? Either way this is an appalling and abismal way to treat your paying customers! $12.99 a month isn't too bad but to play on my Smart Samsung Tv  which now apparently I'm going to have to get a new one well lets see here...now my math isnt great but let me have a go. So from my research an average basic hd tv from samsung is $2200 now divide that by 24 months because lets say your ignorance hasn't disappeared by then and you do this to all 2017 and older models aswell and now we're looking at $91.6 plus the spotify premium charge as well and that's now $104.65 a month. So have you and Samsung teamed this up so you can make more money? Or are you just ignorant meatheads not thinking about the financials for majority of your customer base? Either way I'm done with you Spotify. 

Strenaman

You don't improve a service by removing it!

I'm not buying g a new TV just to get Spotify. So I will be cancelling my Spotify subscription.

Ross93
Casual Listener

What a joke, just went to put spotify on my Samsung tv and noticed it had dissapeared. This is very poor, don't know how they can consider a two year old tv as a legacy device.

AnnoyedUK
Casual Listener

Oh look, the Deezer app is available on my 'ancient' 2 year old devices.  Looks like Deezer will be getting an influx of new customers. 🙂

SUGGESTED POSTS