Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify thinks I'm in the wrong country. Can't change country

Solved!

Spotify thinks I'm in the wrong country. Can't change country

I can't get spotify to go online because it thinks I'm in the wrong country. My profile says, that I'm from the USA, but I never made that setting. I'm from germany and have a german IP. I can't change my country in my profile on my own, because its greyed out. Please change the country to germany. My Accountname is fernetbranco

Thank you.

176 Replies

I just checked a few minutes ago, and my account is fixed, thank you so much!

@Langille - Glad to hear it! 🙂

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Having a similar problem. I think I may have two accounts tied to the same email address, as I had oringally registered through facebook, but recently changed my facebook email to the same email I used to register a different spotify account. Now both accounts think I am in the US and I cannot swithc them back to Canada as they are both greyed out. Can someone help me out here?

Marked as solution

@czuboka - Country on Spotify Free accounts is set by IP address location. Are you definitely connecting from a Canadian IP address?

http://www.maxmind.com/en/locate_my_ip

Peter

Also running into the same issue. I'm in Canada. My spotify thinks i'm in the USA. Can't use it on the phone but the computer program works fine. Can someone change it all to Canada, pretty please?

Hi @aviation22 

Have you tried following these steps found here?

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

Yes i did but the option was greyed out -_- Yet everything including my facebook shows me as being in Canada..

Does this page say you are in Canada?

It's also worth trying using a different browser. If you have entered any payment details in the past to Spotify, you will need to remove those to make the change too.

Peter

I am in Canada (IP address verified as Canadian) but my profile says I am in the US. The option to change is grayed out (tried to follow the instructions). Can you please help?

Yes. It says that i'm exactly where i'm supposed to be in Canada. I can even provide screenshot if you'd like.

If you are still having issues after carrying out the checks I previously mentioned, I would suggest that you get in touch with Spotify support directly so they can assist you further with this. They can normally swap a country over manually for you quickly. There are several ways to get in touch!

If you have Twitter, following and dropping a Tweet to @SpotifyCares (English), @SpotifyAyuda (Spanish) or @SpotifyAjuda (Portuguese) is often the fastest way to get a reply and they can deal with the majority of issues excluding payment/billing issues.

Alternatively, you can email them (in any language) using the online contact form. There is also a special contact form if you can't remember your login details or the email address on your account is incorrect. The contact form support team should be able to handle absolutely any issue you are having!

When getting in touch via the contact forms, if you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the support agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

I'M also in the wrong country. Spotify thinks I'm in the UK, but I live in the Netherlands. Can anyone help me to change this?

@michaelrietveld - On Spotify Free, your current country is based on your IP address, so it is worth checking to make sure it locates to the correct country here:

If that is correct but the system won't let you change it, try a different browser as sometimes that does the trick. Otherwise, I would suggest that you get in touch with Spotify support directly so they can assist you further with this. There are several ways to get in touch!

If you have Twitter, following and dropping a Tweet to @SpotifyCares (English), @SpotifyAyuda (Spanish) or @SpotifyAjuda (Portuguese) is often the fastest way to get a reply and they can deal with the majority of issues excluding payment/billing issues.

Alternatively, you can email them (in any language) using the online contact form. There is also a special contact form if you can't remember your login details or the email address on your account is incorrect. The contact form support team should be able to handle absolutely any issue you are having!

When getting in touch via the contact forms, if you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the support agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Hello! I am having problems trying to change my country settings. I am physically in Germany, but using Starbucks wifi. I bought a spotify voucher code but when redeeming it says that the code is not valid in that country. 

What can I do?

Thank you!

Hello Peter, I have found the problem. My compenies network is using a proxy-server that is located in the UK, that's why spotify thinks I'm in the UK instead of the Netherlands. So I made another account not using the proxy-server and now I'm living in The Netherlands again, Thank you for youre tool to find out the IP-country.

Hey, I have the same problem with my spotify as fernetbranco. I can't use my Spotify online because it thinks I'm in the wrong country. My profile also says, that I'm from the USA. I'm from Germany and have a german IP. As fernetbranco I can't change my country in my profile on my own, because its greyed out, too. Please change the country to Germany. My Accountname is mondscheintarif. Thanks.

@dgarhdez @stephhanie - I would suggest you both get in touch using one of the methods in my post above and a member of the Spotify team will be able to lend a hand to get you up and running. 

@michaelrietveld - Glad you got it working. The IP address system is such a pain! 

Peter

Hi, I have just moved from UK to the UAE, and now I want to change my location on the profile page. However I am unable to do so, because the only option under "country" is United Kingdom. How do I get around with this?

Hi there,

My country setting is stuck on Australia, and I can no longer use Spotify,  i can' t actually change it to New Zealand, but don't actually remember signing up with Australia selected.  Can anyone change this setting for me please.

Hello! Im having tge same problem! I started to use spotify in Italy, a fwe months ago i moved to Paraguay. I no longer have a credit card so my payment stopped, but my mobile provider has a promotion of free spotify for a year to wich i suscribed but i can't change the country in my profile and so i can't put my provider
Thank for your help

Suggested posts