Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Student Discount charged immediately w/o verification

Solved!

Student Discount charged immediately w/o verification

I attempted to get the student discount Spotify Premium subscription from my iPhone on the Google Chrome app and put my credit card info and went to the next page where I attempted to select my school and had no luck moving onto the next page. I tried on the Safari app, put my credit card info once again, went to the next page to select my school and still had trouble so I quit trying. I checked my bank account online and saw two immediate charges from Spotify of $5.40! I DO NOT have the Premium service (I tried logging out/logging back in and removing/reinstalling the app) and still don't have Premium. Spotify needs to set up the school verification first and if it goes through then have the credit card info put in on the next page after verification is successful with your school. As of now I just want my money back for both charges and do not wish to get Premium because of this mishap.
84 Replies

The same thing just happened to me and when I contacted customer service, I was sent an email saying to check the FAQs, help community, or major service updates page. Can someone please help me? The charge for Student Premium is still listed in my back account, but Spotify is still displaying my account as the Free version.

Good luck they never helped me

When I was setting up my daughters student account, it asked for her college information and credit card but never let me add log in information so now an account is open with no way to access.  Any suggestions?

I still have not received any refund nor have I been able to use the account

You could try emailing Spotify's customer service (if you haven't already). That may be a good solution, but from the other posters' experiences, it could be a hit and miss. I hope it helps!

Update: I think someone from Spotify either noticed my post in the forum or decided to respond to the email I sent (after the initial message that was sent back telling me to post in the forum). They told me that the transaction didn't go through, and about a week or so later I saw the fee refunded back into my account. I chose to go for the 3 months for $9.99 in place of the Student Subscription, but I recently cancelled it. So once the 3 months is up, I will no longer have a Spotify account! Spotify is a great music platform and I hope they get the customer service and technical issues together!

I was charged 4.99 for the student and 10.99 and I don't have premium I would like my money back and also a number to talk to a PERSON this is BULL**bleep**!!!!!

Hey @Grateful1

Did you get an email receipt (or two) from Spotify for your subscription purchase?

If you didn't get any email receipt, sometimes the amount gets 'on hold' even if the charge doesn't go through. Normally the amount gets back to your bank account a day or two later.

In any case, you should contact customer support through this contact form. They'll help you sort things out. They take, at the most, 24 hrs to get back to you. Don't forget to check your spam folder for responses as they may end up there.
osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

How long did it take to get your money back

I think it took less than a week for someone from Spotify to reach out and refund my money. I cannot say for certain, because this was a while ago.

They never gave it back

So do I get my money back or not?

Yeah, same thing just happened to me want to know how to get money back without canceling my credit card..... 

U can't it's so stupid and I'm kinda mad like I go to a college but yet they don't accept my verification and they charged me but it happened so long ago it's just five bucks I'll manage

It comes back by itself after the transaction fails don't worry rest easy
just wait a few days

This happened to me as well this morning was not impressed. I tried emailing the company but hoping this will solve it faster. Did they refund you???

Are you sure, because it full on charged my card it's not pending transactions. Sorry

No they didn't

lol it's been like a year

Boo.. (thumbs down) };-()

Tried for student subscription, couldn't find my university in the selection and by the time I could cancel the process I was charged already. Please list my university or refund my money back.

Suggested posts