Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Student Discount charged immediately w/o verification

Solved!

Student Discount charged immediately w/o verification

I attempted to get the student discount Spotify Premium subscription from my iPhone on the Google Chrome app and put my credit card info and went to the next page where I attempted to select my school and had no luck moving onto the next page. I tried on the Safari app, put my credit card info once again, went to the next page to select my school and still had trouble so I quit trying. I checked my bank account online and saw two immediate charges from Spotify of $5.40! I DO NOT have the Premium service (I tried logging out/logging back in and removing/reinstalling the app) and still don't have Premium. Spotify needs to set up the school verification first and if it goes through then have the credit card info put in on the next page after verification is successful with your school. As of now I just want my money back for both charges and do not wish to get Premium because of this mishap.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The pending transaction dropped off after 5 days.

View solution in original post

84 Replies

A similar thing happened to me.  I tried to verify my school and Spotify did not recognize the college name. I tried twice and both times it would not allow me to verify my college so I just exited out. Next day I check my accound and I'm charged $4.99 twice plus $9.99 for my old one. I want these charges removed immediately. I can't even use the student account premium and paid for the darn thing twice. This is bogus

I'm glad someone has experienced the same thing as unfortunate as it may be. So is anyone from Spotify going to do anything about this or what?

Hey @err2010 @jasminepratts

I suggest you contact support so they can help you

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Did this issue resolve for either of you??

Hey @jackiesanchez07 and @Hwan28

The best thing to do here is reach out to the contact form like suggested by @MattSuda

The team here will be able to look at things backstage. Just let me know your 8 digit case # and I'll make sure the right team get on to this for you.

Thanks.

For anyone with this issue: contact the support site, and reply to the "no reply" email address, and someone will reply soon (as @MattSuda suggested). They told me that the charges are pending, so the bank just holds that amount of money, until the transaction is completed (i.e. you get premuim service). If you signed up, but DID NOT receive premium service, then the transation WAS NOT completed, and it will soon expire, and the money will be refunded to your account. 

I am also having the same problem however i am also not able to log into my original account and i try to send a verrification email to my account with my email and it says it dosent work or it dosent exist and then i try to go make another account with that email and then it has already been used so i am screwed and at a loss and am being charged $4.99 twice not cool

The same thing happened to me. I went to subscribe for premium through the student discount rate and a message said my student status could not be verified. While looking at my checking account a few hours later I noticed I was charged by Spotify for $5.38.! To add insult to injury, there is no one tangible from the Spotify team you can get a hold of to redress this. I get some dismissive email about checking FAQS and communities for the answer after filling out one of the few forms available. What a run around! I'm very disappointed in Spotify' s customer service apparatus! This is not how a world-class business carries itself. I just want my money back.

This also has happened to me did you get any information to resolve the issue yet! Please help

@cr10: Nope Spotify never saw the importance to get back to me directly. The error on my checking account was just remedied about four to five days later.

Hey man the thing about subscriptions (you can read this when you sign up) is that the moment you enter your info and send it, it will charge your card man. Hope this may help you.

Marked as solution

The pending transaction dropped off after 5 days.

they don't give two **bleep**s

Yeah they just charged me $4.99 and I don't even have premium and I didn't even get to put my school in.... This is bull**bleep** I want my money back now..

same

Anyone who has had the same problem did you get your money back?

Yes

Same thing happened to me I got charged twice! I got an email from them saving Ii would get my money back but nothing has gone back to my bank account. 

I was charged twice today before I was verified and after I was verified and I am trying to find a way to get at least one of my transactions refunded?

Suggested posts