Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why can i skip songs on my PC but not on my phone? (Non-Premium spotify account)

Solved!

Why can i skip songs on my PC but not on my phone? (Non-Premium spotify account)

Why can i skip songs or pick any song i want to listen to on my PC but on the phone i can only shuffle play and can't skip songs. 

I don't have premium.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

"Streaming on demand is a Premium-only feature. To play any song, anytime, just upgrade to Premium."

https://support.spotify.com/us/account_payment_help/subscription_options/spotify-free-on-your-mobile...

-----------------------------
Tomas

I'm not a Spotify employee
Last.fm

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Marked as solution

This isn’t the factually correct answer; however, it seems the likely reason to me at least. On mobile you are often out and about when listening to music (driving, on the school bus, on a run). When you are on spotify for a laptop or pc it’s almost certain that you have wifi. When you have access to wifi you can easily go to YouTube or some other service to listen to anything for free. However, on your phone that would use lots of data most likely and is just inconvenient. So they figure let’s make Spotify for computers, free and open, like a YouTube for music - to attract more people so that when they are on the more restricted, free, mobile version, they will want unlimited access to what they were listening to on their computers. This would entice people to upgrade to premium. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Marked as solution

"Streaming on demand is a Premium-only feature. To play any song, anytime, just upgrade to Premium."

https://support.spotify.com/us/account_payment_help/subscription_options/spotify-free-on-your-mobile...

Tomas

Last.fm

That wasn't my question?

Just informing you that's the reason it doesnt work on your phone 🙂 

Tomas

Last.fm

Why does it work on my pc then? 

@oakmon

That's just how Spotify works on mobile. You can play any song on-demand in Desktop and tablet, but not on mobile devices. Check this chart:

spotify.png

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

It does make no sense. I used to used slacker radio. Was awesome at least had 5-6 skips per hr. Even if I tether my wifi from phone to pc and using phone data on pc to stream Spotify. I can skip so why can't I use phone data anywhere on phone and skip. Ugh. **bleep** it

It does make no sense. I used to used slacker radio. Was awesome at least had 5-6 skips per hr. Even if I tether my wifi from phone to pc and using phone data on pc to stream Spotify. I can skip so why can't I use phone data anywhere on phone and skip. Ugh. **bleep** it

I have premium but it won't skip on my phone, what do i do now

You either need to have Premium or be connected to Wifi to skip songs.. one of the ways they encourage you to pay. That and no ads

But I have premium

Hey @dshannon680

Try logging into your Spotify profile on your browser here with your email. Your username will be displayed after you login.

After that, check the status of your subscription. If everything looks ok, logout of the app in your device, and be sure to use that username, instead of your email address, to login to your account. It's the one with the Premium features.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

You could connect your pc's(mac preffered) spotify to your phone then you can skip as many times as you want.

Streaming on-demand is exclusive to Premium users on mobile, while it may be used by Free users on Desktop and Tablet. That's the way Spotify manages this feature.

Marked as solution

**bleep**

Marked as solution

This isn’t the factually correct answer; however, it seems the likely reason to me at least. On mobile you are often out and about when listening to music (driving, on the school bus, on a run). When you are on spotify for a laptop or pc it’s almost certain that you have wifi. When you have access to wifi you can easily go to YouTube or some other service to listen to anything for free. However, on your phone that would use lots of data most likely and is just inconvenient. So they figure let’s make Spotify for computers, free and open, like a YouTube for music - to attract more people so that when they are on the more restricted, free, mobile version, they will want unlimited access to what they were listening to on their computers. This would entice people to upgrade to premium. Hope this helps.

I actually want to select 'suffle playlist' on desktop app but I cannot - I am not using the premium service. Any ideas on why I can't choose what many people deem to be the 'inferior' option that is present on mobile devices?

Cheers,

Suggested posts