Why can't we play on more than one device?

Solved!

Why can't we play on more than one device?

user-removed
Not applicable

Just recently have I noticed that I can only play on one device at a time.

Me and my girlfriend have completely different music tastes though we usually share the same spotify account.

I was playing some music on my computer and as soon as my girlfriend who was sitting basically right next to me tried to play some other music, it paused my playback and refuses to play two at the same time.

I am VERY dissapointed by this and after this month I will be leaving spotify until this has been resloved, it should atleast allow 2-3 devices active at one time nevermind blocking more than one, especially with the very dated song selection which is rediculous at £9.99 a month.

The £9.99 a month plan also sells the plan by showing a photo of MULTIPLE devices next to each other, VERY misleading.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution!

Peter__
Community Legend

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Spotify accounts are licensed for personal usage only (not just from Spotify, but those agreements also cover the content from the record labels and how plays are compensated), so account sharing is not allowed. Since you can't be in two places at the same time, you can only have one active stream open at any given time. There is no restriction on how many devices you can use your premium subscription on, just not at the same time sadly! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Solution!

MarieCorona
Casual Listener
I understand it is for "personal use". Personally I am confused as I have had a Premium account for over 3 years now and never had this issue. All of the sudden I am no longer to listen to my music while my teenager is listening to hers. In reference to your comment telling the gentleman his girlfriend should be paying for her own. Is this something you propose I do as well? I purchased the Premium account because of this capability of listening on two or three different devices. Seems rather expensive for me to pay for three single devices for three different accounts, dont you think? Personally I am reconsidering my decision as well. The simple logic is I would save money deleting my account and adding 10$ to my phone company to add mb. I certainly will not pay 30$ a month and its utterly ridiculous for you to suggest any one to do such a thing. PREMIUM means thats the top of the line that you have to offer. This certainly calls for a meeting of the minds to clarify what you can offer as far as "Family or Premium plans" are concerned. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. BLESSED BE.

Solution!

grubidge

what if we have a family acount - just so that someone can be in one room listening on google home and i can be some place else listening on my phone or computer?

147 Replies

johnez
Casual Listener

Lets start asking the important questions like when can we get the ability to stream the same music to multiple devices on the same network.  This is rediculous that we can't have this and there has been literally no explanation.  WHY DOES SPOTIFY HATE WHOLE HOUSE MUSIC?!

gabelmacedoo

Guys ,

Simply make your songs available offline

then turn your cell phone data off for spotify

then you could listen to the songs any where and on how many devices you want

i do this because i have 2 ipads and iphone and ipod

and i use  spotify under the same account on offline mode and it works..

and for spotify mods

no your wrong you can be at 2 places at the same time... 

like me i have 4 devices which supports spotify if im having a party in my house and i want to have my guests choose their song on one part of the house and another choose their songs on another part of the house. how is that going to work would you want me 2 pay for 2 subcriptions? Unfair?

But since spotify depends on internet connectivity to know that your using it , simply use offline mode. THanks! hope this helps

Hanksta
Regular
I canceled my premium account and went with iTunes .
Now all my kids can listen to diferent song ,share playlist and even apps.
Sorry Spotify 😞

sanjbassi

i agree tis is very misleading, my 6 year old wans to listen to something diffeent to me, does he also need an account?

osornios
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

@sanjbassi

if you want to listen at the same time, you both need each an account.

osorniosRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

ngammelgaard
@ Stevob

Ehhhm you and your girlfriend are two seperate people right? Why should one of you get a freebie?

moonbox89
Glad I'm not paying for this with me having a years offer. Spotify good to certain point but defo a lot better apps to use than Spotify. Reading through this thread I find terrible! The attitude on the responses is disgraceful and because of that also I have definitely made my mind up. Why would you pay for a service when you have arrogant tossers like yourselves replying the way you are!!

Ketakko
Easy download your playlists and go to settings and select go offline you will only be able to play songs you downloaded. And your GF can do the same it will show you within how many days you have to go online to verify you are still paying your subscription.

I got here because I have the same issue and this solved it.

What happens is that even your songs are offline you are still establishing connection with Spotify servers.

It worked for me but it will be a good chance for Spotify to create basic, premium or family accounts like Netflix or Itunes Store you pay for a song or album.and it can be downloaded within your family. I understand is different licensing but i I pay extra $20 MXN in my Netflix account and I get 2 devices simultaneously if I want only one I'll pay $79.00 MXN .

jcinq12
I used to have Rdio before they went out of business. I was able to use it on as many devices as I wanted and share it with my brother. Much better service than spotify, but also the reason it went out of business.

Alasarow
I agree. It's very misleading. No point teally

NightScape
Roadie

Personally I think the Spotify approach is a bad approach.

1. In my country, Switzerland, the Radio/TV fees are per household and not individuals.
  2. I often move between rooms and switch between devices I'm listening to, this always interrupts and stops the other device.
  3. Even switching between my tablett or phone and the TV whan I have to do in the living room leads to interruptions.
  4. Not all family members want a Spotify account per se. Our sons share the household a few days a year.

If Spotify would provide a familly or household account with free use on up to 5 devices (just to give a number) I would be willing to pay more. On the other hand, if I find another service of equal quality that service I would certainly give it a try.

TommyBrewer
Casual Listener
I agree with how the representatives were talking, and with the point for 13$ a month in the U.S. It should be allowed to steam multiple devices. But, the way they talk on this thread they want to lose business so I am gonna try Amazon prime see how it is.

JQizzle
Even netflix allows streaming of videos on more than 1 device simultaneously with their basic streaming plan.

baumhome
I pay a little extra for netflix to do this adn would be willing to pay Spotify extra also for this feature

bunnypuffs

I really wish they would allow it to be played in multiple locations. I got spotify to play soothing music for the animals in my shelter, but they're not all in the same room/area.

Samzain44
Your response is very rude as a representative of Spotify. Very poor customer service. I have the same problem with not being able to play music on 2 different devices at 2 different times. So your sentence us incorrect. There in fact IS someone else complaining. It's not helpful to just state 'read the terms and conditions' it would be better if you were HELPFUL. Another customer bites the dust.

Hanksta
Regular
Yup I can led them several months ago and went to Apple Music 14.99 a month and my entire family of five can use it all at the same time even share our Apps

user-removed
Not applicable
I've been using Google Play music since this incident, and with the new YouTube red coming with Google Play it makes it even more worth it. Multiple devices and YouTube Red.

drangedone1
There are alternatives to Spotify that aren't as strict, but I shouldn't be saying that here lol.

WalkerOgden
Casual Listener
Why not say that? I would understand if we were being in friends to share for free. But it is my wife and I and we pay through iTunes which charges and additional $3 for YouTube red. Really irritates me. The greed in this country is what is killing our democracy!!

misfit333
Casual Listener
I was recently notified of a family subscription for spotify... it is 14.99 a month I signed up immediately and am happy with it. It is for anyone up to 5 people I believe that share the same address... hope this helps all!
SUGGESTED POSTS