Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why do I still hear commercials when I pay for premium?

Why do I still hear commercials when I pay for premium?

I pay 9.99 a month and there is no record of it on my Spotify account and I'm still hearing commercials =( Is there a update button? I tried logging out and logging back in. My account is still under free subscription but by bank account clearly has a withdrawl. What am i paying for?

10 Replies

Is your account showing as premium on your online overview?

If it is showing as premium then you should be good to go! Sometimes a quick log out and back in again is needed. If you are still having issues, try a clean reinstallation of the application. 

If your account is still showing as free then you have not logged into the account you have upgraded. Double check your details, its amazingly easy to accidentally have two accounts, one with a Spotify username and another using your Facebook details. If you can't find your account, don't subscribe again as you might be billed twice, instead get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to lend a hand.

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hello Peter:  You seem to be a guru, and I hope this gets to you.  I have attempted to contact Spotify, and I keep getting their innane and ridiculous responses that don't answer my question.

I have been using free spotify for a while, but wanted to upgrade to the premium version to try having those features (particularly browse and also offline use) available on my Android phone. I went to upgrade and got the email back from them saying the free trial period was started,  but my phone and even my laptop/pc spotify says I'm still a free user.

Maybe I have two accounts, I don't know.  One email address keeps telling me to use FACEBOOK to log in, which I do NOT want to do as i don't want all this stuff to be showing up all over Facebook pages.  My other address, which comes to my phone and is a gmail address, is apparently what I log into from my desktop AND my phone.  I see my playlists etc there.  I have no clue how to get to the other email address account, if it even exists.

My objective:  Get down to ONE address, which is my gmail address, and try premium on it.  NOT lose all the 'liked from radio' and other playlists I've put time into.

Is this possible?  I must say just trying to get this to work makes me suspicious that these guys can't run the company, and why would I want to waste time with them...instead switch to some other streaming service as there seem to be a lot of them these days.

Thanks much!!! Tommy

Have you got the case number from the last time you got in touch with support (its normally in the subject line of the emails)? I can ask someone to check it out for you. Definitely should be possible to get that narrowed down to one account for you.

Peter

Hi there,

I am having the same problem. I have paid for premium ,and am getting billed, but still hearing adverts on my iPhone and can only shuffle playlists (can't play individual tracks).

I've tried contacting spotify by email but get a ridiculous automated email telling me 'sometimes things just magically start working again'.

Well this hasn't.

So disappointed in the customer service.

Kris

@user-removed - Did you get an email receipt when you set up your subscription with a username in it?

Peter

I am cancelling my Spotify acouint, I will not bay $10.00 and listen to commercials. Pandora, I am cominmg back

@eth2 - You definitely should not have been hearing commercials on Premium so something isn't quite right. If you would like a hand to investigate, open an email case here and the customer services team can lend a hand:
https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

Peter

Same here. I’ve paid for the service for years, but the commercials have come up latelu anyway. (Yes, my credit card is still valid AND CHARGED MONTHLY. I don’t see a difference between free and premium, if the music is interrupted approx every 10 minutes. As for customer service - there is none. 

I also have Spotify premium - Duo in fact, two separate premium accounts - but I am hearing commercials, and not just any commercials but commercials promoting the God-awful music of Miley Cyrus.  This has to stop immediately, or I'm bailing.

It sounds like you are experiencing an issue with your Spotify subscription, where you are being charged for a premium subscription but not receiving the benefits of one.

There are a few things that could be causing this issue:

1. You may have signed up for a free trial of the premium subscription and forgotten to cancel before the trial ended.

2. The payment may not have been processed correctly by Spotify or your bank.

3. You may have accidentally created a new account using a different email address or payment method.

To resolve the issue, you could try the following steps:

1. Check your email for any confirmation emails from Spotify about your subscription.

2. Check your bank account and credit card statements to see if the payment was processed correctly.

3. Try logging into Spotify with any other email addresses or phone numbers you might have used.

4. Contact Spotify support, they will be able to help you troubleshoot and resolve the issue. They can check your account and subscription status and help you to understand why you are still hearing commercials.

It's important to note that sometimes, even though the payment is processed correctly, it takes some time to show up on your account, so it's best to contact support and they will help you to understand what's happening.

Suggested posts