Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Will removing someone from Spotify family completely delete their account?

Will removing someone from Spotify family completely delete their account?

If someone is removed from a family Spotify plan, will their entire account be deactivated? How can they save their account/music/playlists and switch to their own Spotify premium instead? 

14 Replies

Hi @Katiewei and welcome to the Community! 🙂
They will not lose their personal account/data unless they choose to cancel the individual plan. They will need to log into their own account once removed and make sure they have the right info on file to start bill Premium separately or they can go to the Free individual plan.

Hope this helps and have a great day! 🙂

Will the person removed retain their music and playlists in the free account they will get downgraded to? 

Hey @CatAdsett,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Yes, their library will not be affected, so no worries there. However, any downloaded music they have will be deleted, as when you remove them from the Family plan, their account will be downgraded to Spotify Free and this feature is limited to Premium users only.

The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

But is there a way to remove a user from a family plan and retain their downloaded music? Like a window of time for them to activate their premium account before it's downgraded to the free plan?

Hey @jagaines,

Thanks for your post here in the Community.

Unfortunately there is no such way. If a member gets removed form a Family plan, they will lose the downloaded music immediately as they get reverted to the free experience. This is so because the 'Listen offline' is a Premium only feature. If they upgrade again to an individual Premium subscription later, then they will have the option to download their preferred music again.

Hope this helps clarify things. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

if i remove someone from the family plan and then invite them again, can they rejoin with the same account? 

Hey there @emb4rra5s1ng,

Thanks for the post.

Yes, you can invite someone back to the plan with the same account. 

Note that if they wish to join another Family plan, they can only do this switch once every 12 months.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Hi Kiril,

this is helpful. A point of clarification to your sentence:

”If they upgrade again to an individual Premium subscription later, then they will have the option to download their preferred music again”. 

Will the songs/song titles and artist remain in playlists and just not available offline? Or would the user have to recall every downloaded song and re-download it upon switching from Free to Premium? In essence, do the songs downloaded as part of Premium family disappear from the user’s library/playlists/liked songs etc. forcing them to have to ‘remember’ what they had and seek it out again or are they there in un-downloaded form?

I can imagine it would be devastating to lose downloaded songs because there is no way of keeping that cataloged in memory!

Thank you.

I am subscribed to the family plan, and I recently activated the "remove explicit content"  feature on my kids Spotify. I am trying to remove it from their accounts now, and it does not seem to be working. I disactivated it on my side, but they are still not able to play their music.

We tried refreshing, logging out, taking them out of family plan and putting them back in, but nothing seems to be working. 

Does anyone know what is going on? Are there any further steps that I should follow?

Hi there @kim80,

Thanks for reaching out. Make sure to check the settings on your end and have the members check the settings on their ends too, as described here. If all is allowed but it still doesn't work, send us a few screenshots and we'd be glad to take a look 🙂

Keep us posted.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

If I remove someone from family plan and they are a collaborator of a Playlist we created together can they still take part in that Playlist? 

Hey @Kristalynn,

Thanks for the question.

Yes - the playlist won't be deleted and they'll still be listed as a collaborator. The only things that change when you go from Premium to free is that you can only play music in Shuffle mode, with ads. All your playlists remain the same 🙂

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator

If my brother is in my account, what is the best way to get him moved  to my parents account without losing anything?

Hey @Mspatel,

Thanks for reaching out.

There's no direct way to switch from one Premium Family/Duo plan to another. Your brother will need to leave your plan first and then join the new one. In the process, their account will revert to free and they'll need to redownload their music for offline listening. 

Please also note that you can only switch plans once every 12 months.

We hope this helps. Let us know if you have other questions.

MihailYModerator

Suggested posts