Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

can I change country but not change payment method?

can I change country but not change payment method?

Plan

Premium

Country

Chile / USA

My Question or Issue

Is it possible to change my country without changing payment method?

My account was originally started in Chile, with chilean credit card. Now i am in USA temporarily (several months) and i would like to change country but not change my payment method. I want to use spotify kids (family account) but it doesn't work if my account is in Chile.

thanks!

6 Replies

Hey, @cjvo1986 
Welcome to Spotify Community and thanks for reaching out here!

Actually you can't because the payment method issued to your account needs to match the country that your account is set of. Considering you're mentioning you will stay temporarily in the US, I think you shouldn't stay in trouble to use your Spotify. If you are a Premium user, you can use your Premium benefits abroad as long as you stay traveling.

If you have any other further questions or need more help, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

LuanSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey there @cjvo1986,

Just jumping in here to add some extra info to what @Luan had suggested.

If you're staying in the US for an extended period and would like to change your country settings, we do have a workaround for you:

1. You need to cancel your current subscription.
  2. Wait for your account to revert to free.
  3. Change your account country settings.
  4. Subscribe to Premium (not Premium Family) using a gift card as payment.
  5. Upgrade to Premium Family. The gift card value will be automatically converted.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, just leave us a post!

Have a great day 🙂

XeniaModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

What if I am moving to a country for an extended period but I know I will not get a credit card or a bank account in that country?

Is there a way to keep a payment method from another country? 
Thanks

Hey, @gioia_mirabella 

Welcome to Spotify Community and thanks for reaching out here!

You can follow the steps @Xenia suggested above. You would need to change your country settings and pay for Premium using gift cards if it is an available payment method in the country you're in. 

But notice that the gift cards just supports the standard Premium plan and don't the Premium for Family, for Students or Duo.

If you have any other further questions or need more help, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

LuanSpotify Star

Dear Luan,

thanks for responding… two years ago… since then I did not change anything but I was hoping to be able to add kids into a family premium in a country other than the one of the registered payment method. I do not intend to open a bank account where I live, I am using international payments system, but it appears impossible to add the kids into  the account!

Kids are with me but they cannot join the family account nor I can open them a separate premium account because I do not have a local payment method!  😮🤔 any idea how I could find a solution?

A

Hey, @gioia_mirabella 

It's been a long time. I hope you've been well so far 🙂
First of all, I need to better understand the overall situation. What is the country you're living in and the country where your payment method is issued? Are you currently subscribed to a Spotify Family plan or the standard Spotify Premium? Last but not least, if you already tried to add your kids to your family plan, could you let me know what happened? 

Keep me posted! We're going to find a solution together!

Regards,
Luan 🇧🇷

LuanSpotify Star

Suggested posts