Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

And....it's gone....

And....it's gone....

It happens....you work a few weeks abroad, get back ...have a walk with your walkman and in the middle of an album the music stops....

Turns out that there is a 30-day limit for off line songs.

At Spotify it must be in the mission statement to annoy and screw business travellers. 

• Android devices can tell time, but the app doesn't give any hint or warning that the music will stop to play. It simply stops.
  • After the music stopped the app doesn't explain why the the music halted. Decision was made at Spotify to optimize premium user frustration.

I have my walkman mostly in airplane mode because of other Spotify problems.

• Spofify can drain your batteries when wifi is on... (had it before)
  • Spotify can invalidate all your off line music with an update  (had it before).

I think business travellers are much better off with old fashioned MP3s or Google

Don't forget: Premium users have to be on line to listen to music off line.
3 Replies

You may find these guides useful: Travel with Spotify & Listen Offline

the 30 day limit is for licencing as Spotify need you to connect to ensure you still meet the criteria stipulated by the labels for allowing you (the user) to listen to their music offline. Otherwise you could get a premium free trial, download a shed load of albums for free, make them offline and that's you sorted.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Duh....I understand that,  but that does not make it acceptable.

Spotify spent development effort in developing a solution to invalidate songs after 30 days to safeguard their interests.

Spotify did not spent a single second on developing a solution to inform Premium users that their interests are about to get flushed down the drain.

This was exectly the same with the application update dat invalidated all off line music abroad. Witout any warning that was gone.

I think that is what irritates me most about Spotify: They really don't care about a business travellers at all. They don't even want to understand their profile. When you are on a business trip for say  weeks, back 2-3 weeks and take off again it is highly probable that Spotify on the device (e.g a walkman) was only in the charger.

And where does this Premium user find out the 30 days have expired?

10 miles up in the air....

The following is complex stuff to Spotify staff:

- Not all planes have WiFI. No, the pilot's phone cannot be used as a hotspot.

- Not all hotels have 100Mbit/S WiFi. 

- Not al places in the world have WiFi or even 3G.

- The worlds is not adapted to Spotify. Might be worthwile to try it the other way around.

Don't forget: Premium users have to be on line to listen to music off line.

Hey @WilliamOffline and welcome to the community!

I suggest to pay in advance (Paypal, gift cards) for Spotify Premium to prevent it from deleting offline files. You can also use a payment method that renews your subscription everytime your 30 days have ended. 

Suggested posts