Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android 4.4] Spotify doesnt load images

Solved!

[Android 4.4] Spotify doesnt load images

Hey guys,
I have a problem. My spotify doesnt load any images anymore. No single covers, not in 'Discover', nowhere...

What to do? Im using the nexus 5 with android 4.4, wifi and 3g connections are ok.

Thanks

EDIT: I just changed the Subject to make it stand out 🙂

--

Edit by Per, to link to latest update from Spotify.

2013-11-27 update by Per.

2013-11-28 update by Per:

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. As this is resolved, I'm locking this thread.

Some users were reporting issues with lockscreen controls on KitKat (4.4). If you want to weigh in on that issue, please do so in this thread.

197 Replies

Same here ay!

I was paying the cheaper rate for Google Music and Spotify at the same time before, deciding which one to go for...

I regret canceling my Google Music All Access subscription now! 😞

Anyone else notice that from the lock screen, while I am playing music from my playlist, the next some comes on and the skip forward and back buttons disappear.

Upon locking and unlocking the device, they appear. Very annoying.

If they could add the 'immersive album art while they're there... That'd be cool.

Why is the first post marked as solved when I don't see any solution????

I have this issue both on my Nexus 7 and my Nexus 4. Come on Spotify, we're paying customers, and a lot of folks already have 4.4. AND LOTS more will come, so no need to delay the fix. 

I will cancel my subscription until this is fix. I guess Wimp doesn't have this issue. 

I was exactly the same. Was paying lower rate for Google Music, decided on Spotify as it's a more experience service then bang, FAIL. 

I'm tempted to change back now but I'm sure they'll fix it soon enough. 

Nothing to add, just wanted to register another vote for a fix of this issue.

I want good media keys already! It's impossible to go to the nexts song without unlocking the phone.

This issue needs a fix! It's probably been the worst bug yet

+1 been a huge bummer. Looking forward to getting them big images as backgrounds in my lockscreen like google music!

OK so It's been nearly 4 weeks and still nothing ?

Can we please have an update or Im looking at going to Google Music even though they pissed me off and jacked the price to $11.95AUD its starting to become on par with spotify.Now im starting to regret staying with spotify and missing out on the offer I had with Google music after I cancelled my sub with them.

Same for me. Running Nexus 7, 2nd generation..

Same here Nexus 4 running KitKat.

4 weeks an nothing done yet? Every Apps works great only Spotify makes problems. I thing I'll quit my abo and use google instead

4 weeks without a quick fix/patch is beyond INEXCUSABLE .  Your customer service and programming/development team is horrible and leaves much to be desired. While other broken apps released quick patches and updates to address issues with Android 4.4, in the other hand the Spotify team looks like a 1 man operation that has no time to release an urgent patch because they have to go to college. What kind of image are you giving to your paying customers?  Are you going to give us some kind of disscount, free month, or a way to compensate this? THIS. IS. NOT. A. PREMIUM. EXPERIENCE.

I encourage everyone to contact other people that 'might' care, since the Spotify cares twitter account is dead silent.

https://twitter.com/eldsjal  Founder of Spotify

https://twitter.com/togi       Spotify Android lead developer

https://twitter.com/mikeberkley  VP of product Spotify

https://twitter.com/alega   VP of growth Spotify

https://twitter.com/gmwils   Director of Engineering 

https://twitter.com/blixt      Spotify developer

https://twitter.com/felipernb  Spotify developer

https://twitter.com/davidpoblador  SRE Spotify

Let them hear your voice. 

We need answers and an estimate.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If it would always be easy, would it be fun?

Hello folks, we're sorry this is taking longer than we had hoped.

Here's an update on the status quo, concerning this bug.

We:

• are working on getting this fixed.
  • really want this to be fixed.
  • are currently rolling out version 0.7.3 to everyone (this is in progress.)
  • finished 0.7.3 before this issue popped up.
  • wanted to have it fixed with the next version (let's call it 0.7.4), but every release, at some point, has a code freeze. The fix didn't make it in before 0.7.4's code freeze.
  • fully expect to have this fixed with the version after 0.7.4

Of course, it's not ideal; everyone wants their images to be showing in their full glory, and we want you to enjoy the complete Spotify experience on your KitKat devices, but there you have it.

Community Ergo Sum

Your excuse is not enough sir. And personally I don't buy it. And what about us in the meantime? I mean, you expect us to pay for services that we can't use? You must offer at least a month to all of your premium customers for their trouble. Otherwise, I will seriously think to move to an other competitive app.

Considering how slow the v0.7.3 rollout is (I have not yet received it on any of my devices), we will get v0.7.4 next year?

It would be nice with beta releases / weekly / nightly builds that could be downloaded and installed without any form of support. These would then be automatically upgraded when a new stable release is available in the play store.

This is how we deal with these kind of fixes just to not get the crowd frustrated over long turn around times for stable releases.

Wouldn't that something for Spotify to look into?

@Per: Do you  have a deadline for the fix?

Replying to some of your responses:

• "unusable" isn't a word I would use, as the music plays and app works fine without the images as well. "Less aesthetically pleasing," or "not ideal," could be used, I guess.
  • I expect the update very soon; certainly before next year. (And we're almost in December, for perspective.)
  • We have actually started to try out a Beta program, as you'll see in our announcements section. This would not, however, have helped test KitKat, because it wasn't out yet.
  • Concerning a deadline, I can't comment on specific timing now. Sorry 😕
Community Ergo Sum

Thanks for the responses Per, it's appreciated. 

Hi, Per.

It's less important to me, since I've already moved on to (currently) greener pastures, so don't take this as shaming or some kind of high pressure rhetoric (since, from me - no pressure at all!). I'm sure this is very frustrating for the developers, just as it is for the users.

Obviously it's too late to do anything about this now, but for the future you all might consider putting in place a procedure for high-visibility or high-priority bug fixes. There's a big difference between a few force-closes when holding down the back key while the next song in the playlist pops up (typical bug fixes) - and large parts of the app not working. In this case: album art, lock screen controls, and downloading over 3G. Given that these bugs are hitting early hardware adopters the hardest (Nexus 5 users have had to deal with it more than, say, MotoX users, probably all will be fixed before SGS4 users get 4.4), these bugs are especially severe even though, as you rightly point out, the music still plays.

Also, and this is an image vs. realtiy thing, when iOS 7 came out, I received several Spotify updates for my iPad, days after the new OS landed. The bugs that prompted some rapid-fire releases for iOS 7 were not nearly as visibly severe as the ones plaguing the Android client for 4.4. You can see how users might say to themselves - yeah, I like Spotify. Music selection and quality is great. But they aren't motivated to give me a great experience on my Android device. I might as well go to a competitor that does value my subscription dollar.

I'm sure you do value each Android user. I'm not saying the perception IS reality. But you can see how a narrative like that gets going, and how a long-standing highly visible bug like this will drive away customers.

Anyway - best of luck with the fix. I'm still using your service for another 6 days on my iPad. As always, great client over there.

Suggested posts