Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android 4.4] Spotify doesnt load images

Solved!

[Android 4.4] Spotify doesnt load images

Hey guys,
I have a problem. My spotify doesnt load any images anymore. No single covers, not in 'Discover', nowhere...

What to do? Im using the nexus 5 with android 4.4, wifi and 3g connections are ok.

Thanks

EDIT: I just changed the Subject to make it stand out 🙂

--

Edit by Per, to link to latest update from Spotify.

2013-11-27 update by Per.

2013-11-28 update by Per:

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. As this is resolved, I'm locking this thread.

Some users were reporting issues with lockscreen controls on KitKat (4.4). If you want to weigh in on that issue, please do so in this thread.

197 Replies

One ot the Spotify staff did post on Friday but, apart from reassuring us that they're working on it, there's not much they can add until they can say "fixed". On the bright side, at least the music works. Imagine if the graphcs displayed but there was no music 😞

Im also looking for Google Music. 20 days without premium experience. 10€=13$

Same problem here - Nexus 5 32GB, android 4.4.

Spotify app version 0.7.2.402-g40e8dcb4

Same issue here, Nexus 4 running Factory image of 4.4

Just emailed Spotify's customer "support", since they ignore any questions submittetd through their @SpotifyCares twitter account. Speaks volumes.

Got the usual spiel from them. It's a case of waiting until they pull their finger out. I also asked about being compensated for a sub-standard service. And the exact response I got was...

"Sorry but we are not allowed to do this :("

Bye bye Spotify. Hello Google Music.

Happening to me too, Moto X on Verizon with the new Kit Kat update. I uninstalled just to make sure.

Nexus 5, same issue.

I simply don't believe that this is a difficult problem to fix. There are only so many potential reasons why an image won't download and display. That's all we're talking about - displaying an image!

The lack of response by Spotify makes it abundantly clear that they care about paying customers who use iOS more than paying customers who use Android. Why should I pay the same amount as an iPhone customer and receive an inferior service?

If this is not fixed by the time my subscription renews, I too am going to Google Music. Hit them in the wallet and they'll listen.

One more. Android 4.4, Nexus 5.

u.u

Same here with 4.4 on nexus 5. Both the poster art issue and the previous/next buttons on the lock screen. Very disappointing I hope they fix this soon.

New Spotify app is out! Let it propagate a few hours! Hope they solved some bugs

So far no update in the play store! I can't wait!

Well, that settles it for me. I just unsubscribed (citing unresolved technical problems) and subscribed to Google Music. I had tried them out before when their service first started but I liked the cross-platform Spotify player more. Now that Google All-Access has an iOS player I can use it on all my devices, so that barrier to entry is no longer there. The sound quality seems close if not just as good (both are 320kbps at their highest quality level).

I would not have known about the iOS player had Spotify been more timely with their app update. It would have never popped up on my radar since I was enjoying the Spotify experience (little quirks aside - no real issues until now). How long will I stay with Google? Who knows - until they give me a substandard experience or until Spotify lures me back - or perhaps next I will try Rdio if I don't stay with Google for the long haul.

Just so the developers and community managers understand - I am not upset or angry. This isn't anything personal. I'm sure there is a good reason fo why it is taking so long for the Android client to be fixed. For all I know, the major developers have all had personal tragedies that prevented them from working for the last month, leaving a skeleton crew behind to fix whatever they could. Maybe they used an outdated framework that won't be updated for 4.4 and they have to rewrite major parts of the code against a framework that will remain compatible. Honestly - it could be anything. I don't begrudge them for taking their time since it was clearly necessary. But streaming music is a competitive market. If I'm paying every month I want the best possible experience. Sadly - right now, for 4.4 users, it isn't Spotify.

I wish you all the best. Someday I may be back if you ever have a big enough cost advantage or feature advantage. But some business 101: it's always harder to gain new customers than it is to keep the ones you have. But what's harder still is bringing a customer back that you lost. I won't be back for what I had previously, since I am going to get used to making new tradeoffs with a competitor. You have to be significantly _better_ than you were to bring me back. I'm sure others feel the same way. It's the nature of competition.

Take care, everyone!

Too bad Google Music isn't an option for me.

Releasing something after 3 weeks that does not fix the issue is worth than not releasing anything at all.

I really don't know what else you guys want them to say. 

Clearly they are aware of the issue and are working on it. They even made a point to comment about it on the latest update - so obviously it's become a major high priority bug. Is there any need to keep adding 'Nexus 5 Kit Kat' to this thread. When they already know that this is where the bug is?

Furthermore, I wish people would stop leaving self entitled over dramatic posts about how they are leaving to Google Play Music and how they DEMAND THAT IT BE FIXED NOW! Anyone would think that Spotify just went out and shot somebody. Whilst I'm not the greatest fan of this phrase - 'First world problems'' does spring to mind. 

And no, I don't work for Spotify. I do think their service is absolutely incredible for what you pay though and has totally changed the way I listen to and discover new music. Yes, I too am dissapointed that this issue still resides. But I am not going to throw all my toys out the pram. It's not like you can't listen to music and at the end of the day, they still have a bigger catalogue than All access and Rdio, streaming in higher quality, with in my view, a better app experience. 

So just give them a bit more time. When it's fixed, I'm sure we will be the first to know about it. 

@eustace_chapuys wrote:

Clearly they are aware of the issue and are working on it. They even made a point to comment about it on the latest update - so obviously it's become a major high priority bug. Is there any need to keep adding 'Nexus 5 Kit Kat' to this thread. When they already know that this is where the bug is?

We want them to say that they have a fix and will be rolling it out today/tomorrow.  

It's pretty common when developing any software to put bug fixes ahead of new features - it's pointless adding new functionality if your existing functionality doesn't work.

When it became apparent that there was a problem with KitKat, resource should have been moved away from new features and on to getting a bug fix release out.  KitKat has broken numerous Android apps, but most were fixed within a day or two - all of the other apps I've had a problem with are from "one man" development shops and they have been turned around quicker than Spotify.

My first taste of Spotify premium is with 4.4 and it's not impressing so far.  Every day from release of 4.4 there are exponentially more people experiencing this problem as Nexus 5 units are delivered and KitKat is released for other devices (Nexus 7, Moto X, etc).  Due to their own inaction they have allowed what could have been a very small, almost unnoticed problem turn into a bigger issue.

Poor management, that's all.  Which would be fine if Spotfy occupied this space on their own...

I think you are reading in malice or anger, when there is none.

I expect high quality service from my subscriptions. Whether they are streaming music, video, or heck - my cable internet, mobile service, car insurance, etc...

KitKat broke a lot of stuff. Heck - SMS apps are now handled in a completely different manner. Most apps had a quick fix that day, followed by some refinements over the next week or so as remaining issues were ironed out.

But after three weeks and one update, there is no fix for Spotify. My subscription is coming due and I have options. Why on earth wouldn't I explore my options? If my car insurance suddenly decided that they would only allow payment in cash, and my term was almost up - don't you think I would look at quotes from other providers? Not because I'm some kind of hater, but just out of maximizing my dollar?

As it turns out Spotify is not like Netflix. They aren't the only music subscription provider. For this month, they are not the best deal for 4.4 users. It's not personal; it's business.

This! 

@milesg wrote:

@eustace_chapuys wrote:

We want them to say that they have a fix and will be rolling it out today/tomorrow.  

It's pretty common when developing any software to put bug fixes ahead of new features - it's pointless adding new functionality if your existing functionality doesn't work.

When it became apparent that there was a problem with KitKat, resource should have been moved away from new features and on to getting a bug fix release out.  KitKat has broken numerous Android apps, but most were fixed within a day or two - all of the other apps I've had a problem with are from "one man" development shops and they have been turned around quicker than Spotify.

My first taste of Spotify premium is with 4.4 and it's not impressing so far.  Every day from release of 4.4 there are exponentially more people experiencing this problem as Nexus 5 units are delivered and KitKat is released for other devices (Nexus 7, Moto X, etc).  Due to their own inaction they have allowed what could have been a very small, almost unnoticed problem turn into a bigger issue.

Poor management, that's all.  Which would be fine if Spotfy occupied this space on their own...

Completely fed up with this issue, fully cancelled premium and switched to Google Play Music! This is not premium service at all!

Suggested posts