Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android App Stops Playing After a Few Songs...

Android App Stops Playing After a Few Songs...

I'm a premium user... I have playlists downloaded and streamed... I press play on a list containing hundreds of songs both downloaded and streamed... after a few songs the music stops.  I look at the app and it's blank or a song will show but the forward and backward track buttons are greyed and again no music.   I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 so I would hate to think it's my phone. Any thoughts?

19 Replies

I'm sure your phone is fine. Is there a pattern such as it always stops on the same track or only stops on a local file you have synched rather than on a track you are streaming?

It happened today.  I have 2 playlists, both downloaded to my mobile smartphone, under a folder.  I selected the folder with the 2 downloaded playlists and selected All Tracks.  The list of tracks appeared and I selected one to play.  It played and then a second track came on.  When the second track was done playing the app stopped playing completely.  I was shocked after 2 tracks but it has varied in the past.

Could you try turning off audio effects and any other equaliser and let me know if that helps.

Okay, it just happened again.  All tracks are downloaded to my phone and played for about 20-30 minutes or so.  I've been at home the entire time.  As for settings, The EQ is off.  Gapless playback was previously on and switched to off prior to this last breakdown.  Both streaming and download quality is set to extreme quality.  

You are not alone! Same challenge, same exact parameters (Galaxy S4, Premium member, playlists d/l'd at extreme quality onto SD card), playback stops randomly between tracks on occasion.

Could you try streaming music instead to see if it still happens. If it only happens when playing offline music, there could be a problem with the cache in which case, reinstalling spotify should be the next step.

I have the same issue as the op.  I have the Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 4.3.  I've followed the instructions for troubleshooting Spotify where you clear the data/cache, unistall, delete folders, reinstall.  I'm using the free version of Spotify to stream my playlists.

Pretty much the same thing here. S4. I'm a basic subscriber. While away from home (car or gym), grab a playlist, hit "Start Radio". App plays one song then stops. Happened three times yesterday. 

This looks like a bug in the part of code that finds the next song to play. 

Same thing happens to me.  I'm on an S4 also (Verizon).  Happens over Wifi or 4G.  I thought it was happening when an ad was trying to play.  Also, this has happened to me on both headphones and over Bluetooth in the car.  Same thing happens when just playing through the phone's speaker. 

The app is not much use when it can't play more than a song or two before stopping.  Hopefully there's a fix.

Also happens on my Nexus 5, AT&T.

I am getting something similar on my Samsung Galaxy III. It stops after the first song, every single time, for a commercial, but the commercial doesn't play so I have to click on the upgrade splash screen and click shuffle again after every song! So frustrating!! If anyone can tell me how to fix this I would sooo apreciate it!

Hey guys 🙂 

I have opened this as a bug for the Spotify teams to investigate. If you could all add the requested details to this bugs tracker it would be most appreciated. 

Just so we can keep all of the data in one place, I am going to lock this topic for now. A huge thank you to you all for taking the time to report this! 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hey guys we're going to reopen this thread for comments--are any of you still experiencing the issue after the latest Android update (1.8.0)?

Yes, three times in the last 30 minutes. I have version 1.8.0.993.

Same here, crashes allot. Running 1.8.0.993. I have a nexus 5 with lollipop. App can work for 10 min and after that the app crashes 5 with in 3 min.

I know this is an old thread but I am having this issue and am ready to give up on spotify. My spotify premium worked for the first few months without any issues and now it stops at the end of the first track I try to play. This happens 100% of the time and happens when online and offline. I have a motorola photon on Ting which uses the Sprint network.

I have reinstalled spotify a few times and even reinstalled it without an SD card in place. Still no luck. I have heard that other apps can cause spotify to stop and I have noticed GooglePlay music is constantly running in the background. I close it but it seems to launch itself. Noone else has access to my account so it isnt a dual user issue.

@Engle5933 wrote:

I know this is an old thread but I am having this issue and am ready to give up on spotify. My spotify premium worked for the first few months without any issues and now it stops at the end of the first track I try to play. This happens 100% of the time and happens when online and offline. I have a motorola photon on Ting which uses the Sprint network.

I have reinstalled spotify a few times and even reinstalled it without an SD card in place. Still no luck. I have heard that other apps can cause spotify to stop and I have noticed GooglePlay music is constantly running in the background. I close it but it seems to launch itself. Noone else has access to my account so it isnt a dual user issue.

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved.

[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

What make and model of phone you are using: Samsung Galaxy s5

Your android version: 6.0.1

Your Spotify version: Version 6.9.01212

If you are using Free/Unlimited/Premium: Free version.

It stops playing after a few songs play (Streaming) then I have to manually start it again. I'm on a WIFI connection I don't have a data plan. This happens on all WIFI's I connect to so that rules out my router. All other music apps play flawlessly iHeartRadio, Pandora, Tunein Radio app.

Settings > Battery > Power Saving Mode> In the Power Saving Mode settings disable the "Restrict background data" setting

also in settings > battery > app power saving
Tap on the "detail" box
Tap on "Spotify"
Tap "Disabled"

Let me know if it helps.

Suggested posts