Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Auto - No Sound

Solved!

Android Auto - No Sound

I have been having an issue for a while now on two different phones and Android Auto. I'm using the AVH4100-NEX and have used a Samsung Galaxy S2 running Cyanogenmod and a stock Nexus 6P. What happens is when Android Auto first loads, I open spotify and start playing music but I get no audio. I have found I can get Spotify working if I start with or switch over to Google Play Music or Pandora and play something in one of them, then I can then go back over to Spotify and audio will work fine again until I disconnect my phone.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Update: Just saw there was a new version of Spotify (4.2.0.739) in the play store released this morning, this update fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I've have this issue every time after I've been using my phone as a remote. It doesn't recognize it's plugged into my car and still tries to play off my computer/Chromecast. I have to unplug the phone and switch it to phone speakers before replugging it back in.

Mighty inconvenient, hope they release a fix soon for this particular issue.

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Hi @thephanatik , welcome to the Spotify Community!

Let's try to troubleshoot this issue with you:

First of all, please try a clean reinstallation. This can resolve many common issues. 

If you're still having trouble after a reinstall, please let us know the following details:

1. Exact Device (e.g. Samsung Galaxy 4)

2. Exact operating system (e.g. 4.4.2)

3. Spotify app version installed (2.0.0)

4. What are you doing when the app skips/ stops/ crashes? Is it when it opens? When scrolling through tracks? When searching? 

5. About how many playlists do you have?

If you could get back to us with those details it would be great. Thanks!

This has been an issue on my previous phone and a brand new phone with a new installation. I have tried a fresh installation on both phones. To simplify things, I'll only describe my new phone since it is completely bone stock and fully up to date.

1. Huawei Nexus 6P
2. Android 6.0
3. 4.1.0.868
4. I plug my phone into my head unit and android auto starts. I open Spotify through Android Auto and start playing a song, it doesn't matter if I pick a new song or continue playing a current song, the song will show that it's playing, but there will be no audio output. I have tried pausing and playing again, switching songs, etc. The only way I have found to get Spotify to play is by switching over to a different audio app, like Google Play Music or Pandora and playing something there first. It's like Spotify isn't initializing the music connection to Android Auto correctly, but as soon as a different app does, it works fine. To be clear, Google Play Music and Pandora both work fine 100% of the time, Spotify works 0% of the time on first startup, but works 100% of the time after playing a half a second or more of audio in a different app, then coming back to Spotify.
5. I have 12 playlists
Marked as solution

Update: Just saw there was a new version of Spotify (4.2.0.739) in the play store released this morning, this update fixed the problem.
Marked as solution

I've have this issue every time after I've been using my phone as a remote. It doesn't recognize it's plugged into my car and still tries to play off my computer/Chromecast. I have to unplug the phone and switch it to phone speakers before replugging it back in.

Mighty inconvenient, hope they release a fix soon for this particular issue.

I just wanted to see if anyone is still having this problem - I definitely am. 

Problem: Spotify can't reinitialize the connection to the car's speakers if Android auto connection is lost. 

Spotify works pretty well when android auto is correctly connected the first time. If the connection is lost, then often spotify will look like its playing music but no music is audible through the cars speakers.

Workaround: If I go over to google play music and play something, google play works fine. Then I can switch back to spotify and spotify can suddenly play through the speakers.

So, it seems like spotify can't reinitialize the connection to the Car's speaker system.

This does not happen with Google Play Music or with Pandora.

My Setup -

Honda Civic EX 2016, firmware - 1.F184.60 (Android version 4.2.2 - wow so old)

Nexus 5 D281 (Original) - with Nougat 7.0 Cyanogenmod 14 (basically vanilla rooted Nougat)

Android Auto - Latest version - 1.6.281030 (2825091-release)

Spotify - Latest version - 6.3.0.882

Other settings -

USB Mode (Have tried "Charging" and "MIDI"). In developer options, have tried "Debugging mode" enabled and disabled

Anyone else still having this spotify specific problem? 

Still having the issue, no solution yet.

I also have this issue
Phone: Huawei Nexus 6P
Android 7.0
Spotify: 6.3.0.882
Car: VW GTI '16

I'm also having this issue. Droid Turbo, Hyundai Sonata. I reinstalled Spotify and it got worse. Now it drops out in the middle of a song, and I have to go to another music app to get sound back.

Very Frustrating to the point I am ready to drop Spotify.

We did drop Spotify because of this issue. Unfortunate because their Android auto interface is so much better than Google play musics

I have the exact same problem as described by the original poster.

Initially I get no sound from Spotify via android auto. As soon as I switch to Google Play Music and switch back to Spotify it starts working properly.

Very annoying.

Audi A4 (2017 model)
Spotify 6.5.0.1816
Samsung Note 3 - Android 5.0
Android Auto 1.6.2.8

Thanks

Has there been any update to this issue?

Mine magically resolved itself. Perhaps there was an update to Spotify.

Ok good to know. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Exact same problem here. Sometimes no audio output at all, sometimes through phone speakers. I noticed the issue to happen after short stops with the car when phone is disconnected for a while and I reconnect it.

Sony Xperia Z5 with Android 6.0.1
Spotify 7.5.0.1076
Seat Leon 5f (Model 2016) with Full Link

turns out you can just go to the next song. if you reconnect and a song
counter is running but no audio, hit next and the following song will be
good. if you were on a really good one, you can then hit back a couple
times and it'll still work. spotify just doesn't know how to reestablish
the audio connection for the middle of a song, but when you hit next
spotify figures it out.

So it's now nearly the end of May 2017 and I'm still having this issue. By the way I'm using Spotify version 8.4.3.479 armV7 on a Sony Xperia XZ. Device in my car is the Kenwood DDX9017. Why does this problem still exist Spotify??

When you plug it in and hear no audio, try skipping forward a song. Works
for me. Then I can go back if I still wanted to hear the last one

I do not think that spotify is the problem

I have the same thing

No audio when i plug in mx phone via usb

Without playing music the navigation has no audio as well

Same here. If my phone has been playing music through my Fire TV Stick, it often does not reset to be playing on the phone itself. Make sure to select the correct output channel in the Spotify App first (phone), then connect to Android Auto.

Suggested posts