Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung S10E

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

I'm unable to get spotify to ignore android notifications. When a notification happens, the music pauses for the notification sound. I've tried Do Not Disturb and turning Sound to Mute, but it keeps happening. How can I fix this issue?

84 Replies

Found fix for this on android phones. Settings sounds and vibration then separate audio apps it worked

I can confirm that this is a Spotify issue. I had not updated Spotify for at least two years or so. That is when I bought my Galaxy S21 +. Last week, I uninstalled and reinstalled to fix another issue and SINCE THAT UPDATE, Spotify will not keep playing after notifications or after another app plays over the top of Spotify and is active until the lock screen engages -specifically the snooze function of the clock. If allowed by the user, the snooze alarm will sound for 1 minute. If the alarm is allowed to play for the entire minute, the lock screen engages and Spotify stops playing until the lock screen is opened and Spotify manually restarted.

I have used and paid for Spotify for years and never had a problem until I installed this newer version of Spotify. The older version worked on this same phone. Why won't the new version work the same way. SOMETHING was changed.

I've found a way to make the snooze function/lock screen work. I had to extend the amount of time it takes for the lock screen to engage to match the length of time it takes for the snooze alarm to run out.

At least that seems to be working now...

Does this make have to play it on a separate device? Like, you have to manually change the settings if you want to play it on your phone?

The choice should be user dependent. Whether they want their music to pause/lower volume for notifications or not.

I get alot of useless notifications and don't want music to pause for those. It happens when I am driving as well. Obviously, I can't check notifications if I am driving and yet Spotify lowers the volume (which feels like a pause). And it's a considerable pause for me to get annoyed because of this.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your patience and input so far.

Just wanted to let you know that our tech folks are still looking into this. While we're unable to provide an exact timeline for a fix at this moment, it's recommended that you always keep the app up to date to ensure that you're running the latest version of Spotify.

The Community is always here if something else comes up.

Take care.

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Incredibly, after all this time, this is still an ongoing issue.

Confirmed. Android 12. Spotify App 8.7.78.373. Any idea when we can see a fix for this?

Every other app under the sun momentarily reduces volume or pauses briefly, somehow one of the largest streaming apps in the world can't get this right. Bravo Spotify! 

I will continue to be randomly sucked out of the moment and have my listening experience ruined because you can't figure this one out. While you continue to feed me ads asking me to pay money? Yeah, that's a hard no right there.

I think I found a fix for android.

You can enable seperate app sound. Settings -> sounds and vibrations -> seperate app sound. As app I chose 'Spotify' and as audio device 'bluetooth device'. Because the problem only occurs when I'm playing through my bluethooth headphones.

Your phone will still play music when not connected to a bluetooth device

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Galaxy S22 Ultra

Operating System

Android 13

My Question or Issue

Since recent Android updates on Galaxy S22 ultra, Spotify stops playing music after any notifications 

I changed my phone and the settings have probably changed since then. Every message that comes into the phone stops the music for a second. I'm not interested in that. How to make the messages not stop the music but only weaken it for a very short moment

I'm on an S23 Ultra. When I got the phone, everything was working as intended. Since updating the Spotify app recently, music simply dips and the chime plays in sync with the music (as intended) but podcasts will fully pause. Frustrating.

Hey folks,

Apologies for the lack of updates on our side.

We've recently received a confirmation from the team handling this that the issue should be resolved. For anyone still experiencing this, can you please try the following:

1. Restart your phone by pressing and holding the Volume down and Power buttons.
  2. Clean reinstall the app using the steps in this guide.

If that doesn't help, please let us know the following (if you haven't already):

• The model, OS version and Spotify version of your device.
  • Whether this happens over Bluetooth or when playing through the phone's speaker.
  • The type of content this occurs with (podcasts or music).

Thanks!

MihailYModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Come on Spotify do the sensible thing and highlight this to your PAYING custlomers rather than hiding here in a random post.

It would not take much to prepare an email highlighting the issue with a link to the solution.  The solution should be on your website and not buried in a random post.

Talk about customer care and this is NOT it.

FFS!!!!

Having followed your instructions to wipe Spotify and reinstall notifications are still pausing music over bluetooth.

I am using an Oppo 5 on Android 12 (up to date).

Ear buds are Sony WF-1000XM4, software up to date.

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Oppo 5

Operating System

Android 12 

My Question or Issue

Despite the (overly) confident post from Spotify that this issue is fixed, it clearly isn't. 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Android-Notifications-Interrupt-Music/td-p/5032020/page/3

All you have to do is search for "Pausing" & "Notifications" and it's obviously still an issue with Spotify on multiple platforms.

This is a pain when you are doing something which makes starting the music again difficult.  For example working outside with a hat on and using your hands and your phone in an inside zipped pocket.

It's OK for Spotify employees sitting in a warm office and are able just waken your phone and tap the screen.

Come on guys, please fix this.

My names Alex,

I've been having this problem for years, it's april 2023 and this stupid problem only happens on spotify! How is youtube doing better? They're a far cry from acceptible and issues like this one are worse! I remember it used to lower the volume and now it just pauses for 3 seconds, how is there no solution to this? 

It is an incredibly frustrating thing thats constantly happening... and for something that everyone has to deal with, for as long as they've had to deal with it, its nothing short of horrible customer service and disregard for user feedback.

It has literally been an issue for years, the 1st post was from 2021... shocking support for a company that pillages musicians and artists.

This is dumber than when the search playlist feature was removed for like 8 months on android until it was reinstated.

In addition, it can create a dangerous scenario while driving. Inconsiderate user design.

I use a samsung note 10 plus, im bit the only android user to experience this.

So its been 8 months, whats the hold up? Ive just had joe rogan chopped up for 30 mins with a 3 seconds pause every time, its so frustrating, boarderline infuriating with a constant string of pauses.

If his show was on any other platform id be paying for that because your customer service is absolute garbage. Terrible service regarding feedback, this thread is years old and your team has tried to make excuses to blame everything else. Why does youtube music not pause when notified? Tidal - same thing? Passing the blame around seems to be all you guys do. Not impressed by what ive learned in this thread.

Feels like weve been brushed under the rug. I only pay for ad free podcasts, music i use tidal because i do t cop this rubbish but there're exclusive podcasts here and in the car, it is so jarring. I have to put do not disturb on and that'll block potentially important calls. Not good enough. Been a customer since 2016!

Suggested posts