Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung S10E

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

I'm unable to get spotify to ignore android notifications. When a notification happens, the music pauses for the notification sound. I've tried Do Not Disturb and turning Sound to Mute, but it keeps happening. How can I fix this issue?

80 Replies

Hey there @andynov123,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread.

As we haven’t seen any similar posts about this recently, could you let us know if you’re still having troubles with this? Also, can you check if this only happen when you listen to Spotify or if it happens with other apps as well, when you turn of the notifications? 

Keep us posted! We’ll be right here if you still need help 🙂

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

So because you haven't seen any posts recently you thought the issue was fixed????? You know full and well that this is still happening. For years this has been happening. It only does this in Spotify. So now tell us how to fix it.

Hey there @Mayflowerman,

Thanks for your reply.

Currently there is no way to make Spotify run uninterruptedly over all of your other apps. Especially if you get sound and vibration notifications. One way around this would be to go into the notification settings for each app and disable those. This is device specific though and not every device and OS will allow you to fully manipulate notifications.

If you think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented :slightly_smiling_face: 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I can say this is something false.. This is why I have not updated my spotify app.. And went back to an old version... The version I use the notification will lower the music played from spotify instead of pausing it... This is preferred than pausing which takes u out of the groove. I use 8.5.15 on note 8 and previously used note 3.

I'm having the same issue. I only have this problem with spotify, and no other streaming service.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

@BigTater, can you let us know if this also happens when the volume of your notifications is muted or in vibration?

Also, could you try on another Android device and let us know if it happens there too?

We'd also like to know the make, model, and OS version of your device.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

I'm also having this problem since updating. When I get a message via text for FB Messenger, my music is stopped. I have to stop what I'm doing, pull out my phone and restart the music. This was not happening before the update. I have an S21

Hey @tstallings

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Just to confirm, is it also happening when your notifications are muted or in vibration?

Also, let us know your device's exact OS version and the Spotify version you're currently running so we can take a better look at this. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

No, the music is only interrupted when there is an audio ping/notification. I don’t want my notifications turned off. I need my notifications on.

Spotify Version 8.5.96.936

One Ui Version 3.1
Android Version 11
Update RP1A.200720.012.G991USQU1AUA3

Hi @tstallings

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Could you let us know if this is still happening when you log into your account using a different Android device?

You can also ask a friend or a family member to log into their personal account using your phone to see if they can replicate this. 

Let us know how it goes.

NovyModerator

I don't know anyone with an Android device, all my friends and family members have Iphones. 

Hi again @tstallings

Thanks for your reply. 

Would you mind letting us know if you were able to get someone to log into their account using your device? 

Also, have you noticed anything new when using a different internet connection?

Keep us posted. 

NovyModerator

Sadly it looks to be pretty inconsistent as sometimes the music pauses when there's a notification and sometimes it doesn't so I don't think you'll be of any help. I appreciate the effort though!

Hey @tstallings

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We understand. In case you'd like to continue with the troubleshooting at any moment, just let us know and we'll be right here.

Have a lovely day!

NovyModerator

Mi A3 Android 11 (Android One program), 2021Feb5 Security update (latest atm)

Spotify 8.6.8.1094 Premium.

Musixmatch connected.

No system updates recently, it's sooo obvious that is a spotify exclusive problem. Latest spotify update: last night. Broken since last night. I open my keyboard: music stops. Start typing, music stops. Frcking annoying. The problem lying in audio categorization, it's recognized as system sounds, and won't let overlap. I'm paying for this not to speak about your serious shady economic stuff going in the background. I want to support the musicians, not you nor the new "listen for money" people. Please fix it ASAP, a few of us is on the verge of switching. Sorry for my english.

Sincerely, 

Zsigmond

For me, the app turns down the volume on the music when I get an notification and would love to not have to put my phone on 'vibrate' or 'do not disturb' to play music uninterrupted. This is frustrating and I understand this has been a problem for years? So can we please find a solution for this, thank you 🙏

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your replies in this thread.

We suggest that you head over to this article and follow the steps that's provided in there. 

We can't promise if or when this will be fixed, but it's always good to keep your app up-to-date for new features.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for sharing the article but I don't think this is a satisfying solution for the community.

I don't expect to have this topic solved immediately but spotify should acknowledge that this is an issue with a commitment to solve it.

We listen music on our mobile phones and notifications are in their nature. We get hundreds per day and it should not be acceptable for spotify that their users are interrupted while listening.

A workaround as described in the article is ok as a temporary fix but not long term.

Thanks for your help,

Nico

Same here. When I get any notifications on my Damsung s10, spotify stops and doesn't restart. This is a massive pain when you are on a motorcycle and can't reach your phone, in your bag, in a pannier, to restart the music in the Bluetooth headset

Suggested posts