Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Version Not Downloading Local Files Properly

Android Version Not Downloading Local Files Properly

I have local files on my computer of El Camino by The Black Keys. They haven't released the album on Spotify but Spotify still has the catalog of the songs in the album. I added the local files to a playlist and pressed the download button. All of those songs work great on my desktop. I hit the download button on my android device (Galaxy S6 Edge) and the only songs that were downloaded are the two El Camino songs that are on Spotify to listen to. Also, I have the "show unavaiable songs" setting on so I can see all of the other songs, however when I try to play them it says "song not available." So either a) spotify isn't downloading the local files because they are conflicting with Spotify's online Catalog or b) they aren't downloading because of some other glitch. 

Before anyone asks: yes, I am on the same network with both devices. 

Thanks for any help!

3 Replies

Try changing the track names (adding a prefix works) so that they don't get matched to spotify's database and try to sync the playlist again.

Thanks for the response! So I changed the title of each song to include "(#)" at the end. For anyone curious, you can't just change the file name, you have to press alt+shift+p in windows explorer to open the file information and then edit the box named "Title." Aftering doing that I also had to cut and paste the music files to a different location, open spotify so it didn't read any local files, and then pasted the files back into my music folder so spotify would see the new names. So all of the files now are no longer recognized as Black Keys songs, but rather just random mp3 songs on my computer. It's a step in the right direction. Now, the problem is on my phone I get the message "Waiting to download" and nothing is happening... Anyone know what may be causing this? Just in case it's relevant, my phone if connected to the network via wifi and my desktop is connected to the network via an ethernet cable. Also, it's not a private network, it's a massive school network where I go to college. 

Thanks again for the help!

Sounds like the network has the ports used to sync local files locked down and it's unlikely that the sysadmin will want to tinker with them so the only option you now have is to use your android as a mobile hotspot and connect your PC to this hotspot. The local files should then sync.

Suggested posts