Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Widget Removal

Solved!

Android Widget Removal

We’re here to let you know that we are retiring the Spotify Widget for Android this week. 

We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously. We’re pouring our energy into new ways of creating the best experience for our users.

You can still easily access the same playback features as well as information about what is playing through the Spotify playback notification and device lockscreen.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.40 PM.png

To access the playback controls on Android simply swipe down while you are using Spotify to access the controls.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.48 PM.png

If you’re interested in learning more about how the app evolves, check out our article about testing and why features change.

We’re also welcome to feedback from our users. The best way to give us feedback to is to write an Idea in our Idea Exchange

Thanks!

518 Replies

This is one of your worst idea.

At least, tell us if you plan to put it back or if we need to find another service that don't make so dumb things. Because that's a key feature and we all use it everyday and almost everytime.

I have just sent a tweet to Daniel Ek @eldsjal (Spotify's CEO). I know he replies from time to time, which means he checks his mentions regularly.

I would suggest that others send him a tweet so he could realize the bad buzz Spotify has created to their paid subscribers.

It's also baffling that all handicapped people now need to put in 5x the effort to use the app. Awesome how you alienate your customers and dare to say that you care about the experience and people who love music

I'm using spotify mostly in my car while driving. without the widget, i basically can't control spotify while driving. Unless is spend some extra money on some sort of remote. 

This change is really really bad and i cannot think of any other reason than greed (less time spent on developing/testing, so it's cheaper to make).

I've just cancelled my £15 per month subscription. Spoke on online chat and no indication they were going to bring it back and didnt work hard to keep me either...

Trying Deezer now for 99p for 3 months , with a widget!

This is honestly one of the stupidest decisions to make. I don't like to be that "oh i'm canceling my sub because of this" person, but having something taken away without any sort of update / information is really bad business practice.

Please reconsider bringing it back. Android =/= iOS and stop making it try to be.

Are you absolutely insane? How is the Spotify Widget a redundant feature when so many people use it on a daily basis? I've just woken up this morning to a gaping hole on my screen and now I've got to fanny about swiping to get to my controls 😡😡😡

Are you serious!?!! I've used the widget also to start playing music. Now I have to run app firs. This is definitely a step backwards! 

How stupid is this!? I use it everyday. I use the widget to start Spotify . How are we supposed to do that now? Are you kidding me!! What is wrong with these developers?

This is absolutely stupid. It's the one and only widget I actually used, and I used it every day. What's the point of retiring it and making the experience of using the app more complicated?? 

Worst decision ever. What was the point?? Pretty much every music player has a widget for a reason. 

This was a terrible idea. Many users prefer having a widget on the home screen rather than having to access the controls from the notification shade. It was also an easy way to launch the app. We hope you bring it back! 

Please revert this idiocy. Why would you remove such a useful thing as the widget?

Im using soundiiz (com) to copy my playlist to Google play... You can also use it to copy list to deezer i saw. It vist 4 dollars for a month, and im buying a prepaid visa today to do so... I dont know this siste and they Are not getting my real card info...

So if U Are excluding Spotify, but want to keep your playlist soundiis com can help You ...

i do NOT know it (this siste), if its safe etc for credit cards and stuff,s be pro active and by a prepaid card from ur local shop...

To spotify; buuuuuuuuh

Hey Spotify Dev team, just a little food for thought. As a daily commuter that has premium subscription and listens to my playlists on the road. The widget was a fast simple way to start playing my music. Most importantly of all... It was safe!

Bring the widget back!

Guys, I say we just boycott Spotify until they give us back the widget. Also we can leave bad reviews on play store and things of this nature. After all, we are paying them, right?

This is ridiculous, it was an amazing feature. I can't see a valid reason to get rid of it, I used it on the daily, I hope you guys realize this and bring it back, it was my favorite part of the app, allowed me to always just start where I left off, it was a quick access to Spotify. Now I have an empty space in my screen. please bring it back 

Hey Spotify Dev team, just a little food for thought. As a daily commuter that has premium subscription and listens to my playlists on the road. The widget was a fast simple way to start playing my music. Most importantly of all... It was safe!

Bring the widget back!

Some more food for thought... Fire the **bleep** that recommend this move. Because your consumer base will drop, ads won't get air time, and stocks will fall... And don't even say within limits. Nowdays if people don't like what you sell, they'll get it elsewhere and you'll loose out. Simple economics and supply and demand. You "think" it was a smart move, but in all honesty, it was a real ID10T move!

This is bad, such a setback, why would you remove something that isn't broken and helps a lot of people navigating their Spotify!?

This really is a horrendous mistake and i'm debating switching over to another music platform that still has a widget.

STUPID DECISION!

Great job! Round of applause! The Activision of music. You've gone from barely user friendly to completely useless. I'll be taking my money to a place that actually considers what the users want.

Suggested posts