Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Widget Removal

Solved!

Android Widget Removal

We’re here to let you know that we are retiring the Spotify Widget for Android this week. 

We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously. We’re pouring our energy into new ways of creating the best experience for our users.

You can still easily access the same playback features as well as information about what is playing through the Spotify playback notification and device lockscreen.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.40 PM.png

To access the playback controls on Android simply swipe down while you are using Spotify to access the controls.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.48 PM.png

If you’re interested in learning more about how the app evolves, check out our article about testing and why features change.

We’re also welcome to feedback from our users. The best way to give us feedback to is to write an Idea in our Idea Exchange

Thanks!

518 Replies

Thank you. It's just silly to change this! So we have to back date  in order to have what we already had and used avidly! Arg! Thanks for the help. Will try. 

Hey guys, have anyone tried Google play music?

I saw you can even upload your own music to stream from anywhere!

This makes the app much less useful. I'm going to spend the day transferring playlists to Deezer and cancel my subscription.

I hear you. I'd hang in though I'm sure after the week of testing this bad idea they will release the widget again! Or I'm following you in leaving. I can't believe this either. I've been with spotify for 4 years so that's 12x4 at $15 so yeah not cool!

Subscription just renewed for the month, so they've got about 20 days to convince me. Why not just ask users first?!

Why? It was one of the most useful features of the app.

This was a stupid decision. Words can't even describe how stupid this is.

At least give a reasonable explanation why you removed the widget instead of shoving down paying customers down the cliff. 

I don't see how the existence of the widget could be a problem for anyone. If somebody doesn't want it, just don't use it. This is simply a downgrade to save resources. Although I wonder how labor intensive the maintenance of a simple widget really is... 

Just to add to the pile of complaints about this - stupid move with no meaningful explanation.

Yes, the "looks" aspect is another reason why access through notifications is not a serious alternative. I built my own Spotify screen and the widget was an important element. Now it looks just empty and of course it's much less functional. 

Now it would be one thing if you removed the widget because it was causing a vast number of people difficulties with their devices. However, from reading the comments, this was a used, efficient, and popular widget with which no one has mentioned a single problem so far. Why in the world would you retire it then? It would be one thing if you were upgrading and replacing it, but to leave customers without any useable widget to control music and then to suggest opening the whole app and taking over the whole phone screen is simply ridiculous and unhelpful.

Sadly, this is what I used with spotify most often. Therefore, if I can't have a widget anymore, I will be cancelling my spotify subscription and just going to itunes or Pandora. What a royal cluster.

Can you explain to us what's good about it? I understand that some users don't want it but nobody is forcing them to use it. How does the removal of a core feature embraced my many users improve the app? 

It seems like every other Spotify user on android. This widget had prime place on my home screen (very picky about my home screen) 

And I used it all the freaking time >.< like others I may have to look elsewhere for streaming music 

Boooooooo unsubscribing

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Even Apple has more love with 2 widgets, shame.

Screenshot_20190813-031346.jpg

I can't comprehend in any sensical way: WHY WOULD YOU REMOVE THE WIDGET?? When I am listening to Spotify, I use this feature so often! So, a stupid move with no meaningful explanation. Fix it or I too will search for a different music streaming service. 

This is the worst idea ever. Please bring it back?!

I would like to hear your motivation behind the change as many of your users seems to like the widget.

This idea is so stupid... why cant you let your costumers decide by themselves if they want a widget or not?

If we pay for your service, you should give us what we want and how we want.

Very stupid, i'm very dissatisfied. Your competitors still have a widget bar, for me thats a reason to change my provider.

Listen to your Customers and give it back to us!

This seems beyond the widget now, it seems I have to turn on my phone all the time to listen to music, if the screen is off, music shuts off after a few minutes and there are no controllers on the upper menu if I have spotify in background. Unsubscribing and moving to a service that knows how to do tests in tests environments.

Suggested posts