Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android app keeps loosing music

Android app keeps loosing music

I keep having to format my SD card because the app looses 20Gb of music where is the fix
10 Replies

Sounds like you need a new SD card

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

It's the app not the SD card, learn to read

Hi. I did read your post, from what I can gather you are downloading offline playlists to your SD card but after some time they get corrupt and you have to format and then re download again. This sounds like you have some bad sectors or possibly are using a cheaper SD card which can be down to cause issues. What make and type of SD card do you use?

Android Troubleshooting:

I do not have a cheap SD card that is your imagination, I have a 64gb Samsung microsd I have everything from documents to pictures to other music and it's ONLY spotify that crashes and I have to reformat to get the info off

The app looses the music

Correct, it is my imagination as I have to guess a lot of your detail. If you could provide more information and not be so negative then I may try and help you. I'm just trying to help you get the service you expect. One user to another.

So when you say you lose the data, what do you mean? Offline playlists app working? Do they no longer show as available? Is there stillmasses of offline data on your SD card which is not available to play?

Have you tried a clean install (detail in link in my signature)?

Android Troubleshooting:

Offline play lists no longer show as unavailable and I have to use network data to play the music while the music info remains on my SD card

Certainly sounds like a corrupt block on your SD card or that the app needs a clean install. Can you try reinstalling? 

NOTE: You will lose all preferences & offline playlists in doing this!

Uninstall the app from Settings - Apps then scroll to the Spotify app and tap on it, then press 'Uninstall' (or any other way you usually uninstall apps).

Once done using a file manager (such as ES File Explorer) make sure that the below folders are deleted (the second one may be still remaining from the older version of Spotify):

/Android/data/com.spotify.music
/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

Note: - Make sure to check both Emulated/0/ AND the /ext_sd/ locations for these folders as they could be on Internal memory or/and external SD card.

When all folders are removed go to the play store and install the Spotify Music app again (Direct Link).

Official guides for a clean reinstallation here
If using an external sd card to store your cache (Offline Playlists) on Android 4.4.2+ then please read instructions in the thread here: [Android 4.4.2+]Cache on external SD card is possible

Android Troubleshooting:

I don't think it has any thing to do with the sd card and it has to do with the app. It's the app that is loosing the music

It's doing this with 3 different SD cards

Plus if it was the sd card it would of been fixed after each and every time I had been forced to format because of the app

I'm just trying options. Please try the clean installation as suggested. If the app is to blame then this should sort it. 

Android Troubleshooting:

Suggested posts