Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android on usb in a car

Solved!

Android on usb in a car

Hello,

I have a LG G3 with the last update. I want play my music with a prenium acccompte in my car with a usb cable, but i can't.

The music on my LG it's ok it's work on my radio with the usb cable. The problem is the application because the music play on my phone et never on my radio.

Do you have a tips or an additionnal application for my problem? (i don't want change my car 😉

It's the original radio in my car and i don't have gps.

Thank you very much

Best regards

Drasnop

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey all,

Find info how to listen to music in your car here.

Keep in mind that both your device and car need to support the method you choose.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

22 Replies

Hi there,

Welcome at the Spotify Community!

Have you already tried to put some music on your phone (e.g downloaded somewhere), and to play that in your car with the default music app?

This way we know if it's related to Spotify only, or that it's just a problem with your phone etc.

Please let me know!

Thanks for thé welcome : )

I try on my sd card and on my phone everything works fine... Except thé music on spotify...

I start thé application and thé music play on my phone's speaker but not on my radio...

Thanks for the help.

Drasnop

I've just performed a search at the community for others with the same problem, and I have to disappoint you.

You can't use Spotify with USB because of license purposes. 

But you can play your music in the car with an headphone jack (auxillary cable), if you have that type of audio output.

Bluetooth might work aswell. 

Correct. USB is a no go as the tracks have to be encrypted for licensing. Best bet is an FC transmitter or aux cable if your heas unit supports aux in

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Oh... too bad!

It's work fine with my iPhone 5...

Maybe one day.

Thanks for the answer and the help.

Drasnop

How come Spotify works in my car when hooked up through USB with an iPhone but not with an Android phone? Do songs have different copy rights for iPhone vs Android, I wouldnt think so. 

Thanks

Steve

What car is it? I know bmw have worked with apple to integrate the iphone into their idrive so it's not a case of Spotify is creating a rift it's more that the car manufacturers are only supporting a singular os.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I was trying to find a solution to my problem and found this post, which reports the exact same issue I have.

Had an iPhone which Spotify worked fine through USB. Recently switched to an Android phone and Spotify is a no go, only files copied directly to the phone.

Is there any chance of this being solved in a near future?

Edit: using it on a FIAT with Blue&Me tech.

Hello there, Drasnop!

I might be able to tell you why this won't work on your car stereo-type as USB music-wise.

With Iphone and such it does work, because I think they are using another USB form, such like FAT32.

Most other phones works with NTSO32 or something like this.

I had this trouble first time trying to play music (downloaded from websites) on my USB Stick and it did not work at all first time.

I went on my computer and changed the USB Stick into FAT32 and then all the music worked very well, even with music maps on it.

This was on my Kenwood BT-44 Stereo.

As far as I know, if you want to play music on your phone with the USB selection instead of AUX or Bluetooth, I recommend getting an Iphone since it use other settings.

Sincerely,

Tobias

Seeing this thread and wanted to ask a question. I have a new S7 and my phone won't play music through the usb cable in the car either. IPhone worked fine.

I'm only streaming music via spotify, so I have no local files, which means that file OS format should make no difference, right?

The really interesting thing is that my car stereo headset unit is also an android device (2016 Honda Pilot). Seems as through they would be compatible.

- Jeff

Meant to say head unit, not headset.

There is the possibility to play the Spotify music via USB in the car. There is the project on Kickstarter that allows for the Spotify playback via USB in the car. They say that even the titles are supported:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gromaudio/smart-android-usb-car-converter-cable-for-music-on?re...

**bleep**...it's amazing....i found a world, thanks

Recently found out that USB to Bluetooth dongles (cheaply sold) does work with Android which turns out to be a nice wireless solution. Problem is they are not 100℅ reliable (tracks sometimes skip a second or take too long to buffer).

Couple questions: What exactly are these dongles called? Are you able to use the controls of your car stereo (example: next song, previous song) and see the song displayed?

I don't even need a wireless solution, I just want to be able to control the music on my steering wheel or using the buttons on the stereo itself. It's not required, but would be nice to see the song playing on the display.

You can check GROM Audio Wirelinq cable, they are about to release the two versions - USB Type C and MicroUSB.

http://gromaudio.com/store/accessories/index.html#wirelinq

The steering wheel controls and car stereo buttons will work, also able to see the text. Note that the vehicle should be compatible, should have USB port that supports iPhone via USB. Here is the demo video:
https://youtu.be/D5Vfxdrvgh4

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check it out. I don't have a touch screen stereo like that though. It's a more basic stereo, but is USB compatible. Currently I use my old iPod, but I would like to use Spotify on my Android phone.

Sure, you are welcome. Basic stereo should still work as long as it acceps iPod/iPhone via USB.

It's not just Spotify, even the BMW ConnectedDrive app doesn't work via USB, it works perfectly with my iPhone. 

BMW Connected Drive

Suggested posts