Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App update - Can't sort artists alphabetically?

Solved!

App update - Can't sort artists alphabetically?

The App updated this morning and now my artists page is sorted by last played so I can't find anything unless I scroll through the whole list. Can I change this so it sorts them alphabetically so I can actually find what I want quickly?

Not a fan of this update.

62 Replies

This is an unbelievely stupid movie. This app is useless now. I shouldnt have to follow artists to get my songs in alphabetical order. I'm seriously thinking of switching to Apple Music becuase of this.

wth? Who the f*** signed this off? Fix this please ASAP. I don't enjoy using Spotify anymore since this unnecessary and useless change. And fire the **bleep** who approved this change with it... 

You can always get your songs in alphabetical order. It's only that you have to follow artists to get your artists in alphabetical order on the artist tab. I agree that that part is dumb. But liking an artist as nothing to do with sorting your songs.

This started happening on my version of the app this morning. It's pretty frustrating - it was already annoying that listing artists alphabetically didn't really work properly (it didn't understand surnames, so it would list, for example, J. S. Bach under J rather than B), but not being able to list them alphabetically at all is terrible.

I'm not keen on having to follow all the artists in my library just to have it arranged sensibly, since I don't really want to be pestered every time one of them adds something new - but I guess that might be marginally preferable to having my artists arranged according to some arbitrary recommendation algorithm.

You can sort all liked songs by title from the Liked Playlist. Weird but doable.

This sucks! Spotify is missing the boat on a a lot of things it seems... no offline support on apple watch... and now this... I download albums, don’t make playlists... call me oldfashioned... we need the alphabetized artists back! C’mon...!!

I just cancelled my subscription and went back to amazon because of this. I really liked Spotitfy but the Android app that I use 90% of the time has become unusable.

Stephan

We need to follow every artist in our library for them to appear the correct way? Even the ones where we only like a handful or tracks? That doesn't make sense at all.

I can't understand why Spotify keep doing things like this to their users as it's not the first time bad changes have been made to the UI.

Spotify really need to get some proper focus group testing done with big updates lke this before releasing them.

Paying customers should not have to do the testing!

Yeah this update really sucks. Sorting alphabetically is one of the most important features.

So... I've got to click follow on hundreds of artists to get back to where I can see my artists in an alphabetical list... What the....

absolutely disgusting, i'd have to follow 500-1000 artists manually now. thanks for that, i guess. is it possible to cancel a yearly subscription and get a partial refund? 

seriously looking to cancel subscription!  This is the best topic so far that covers my #1 dislike as I must use/used this feature a ton, I am muttering most every time I go to use Spotify on my phone.  Will not take the update on my Windows, spoke to late, seems windows updated over the weekend and same stupid UI!  Hmm, really not sure why I should keep paying for a subscription.  Curious why others are not complaining more.  I just got the update a few weeks ago and have not made the time to figure out what happened.  Will be piggy backing on all your post to hopefully gain more traction to get some useful functionality back!!

Do you hear us Spotify?  

Uninstall the app. Go to uptotown dot com and download the .apk for previous version.  Aaahhhh!

How come it says this problem is "solved?"

It isn't.

I know I'm but one measly subscriber, but if I can't at least sort my artists alphabetically, or choose the specific albums/songs that I want from each artist, I have to choose another music platform. 

I miss when you were good, Spotify. 

Yup, this is awful! Why changing something which worked just fine? I am not going to follow artists just to get them sorted!!! This needs to change fast as makes finding a locally downloaded artists unusable. 

I am exploring options to move to another streaming service!

This is the dumbest thing ever. I'm sorry but give us the option to keep something the way we like it. The artist page only makes sense if its in alphabetic order. And when I like a song it should only give me those songs to play when picking an artist not their entire list of songs (liked and not liked) i didn't like certain songs for a reason, I don't want them mixed in with the songs I have liked. Having to add an extra step to "Follow" artists now to get this featute back is pointless and unnecessary. Please fix

I don't want to have to follow an artist just to be able to sort ALL the artists alphabetically.

There are some artists who who I abhor as human beings but have a song or two that I like and want for an offline playlist.  In no sense of the word do I want to be a "follower" of them.   I don't want updates on them, I do not care to know when they are at a local event.

The reality is that there are only about 20 artists who I would want an update on of the several hundred I have in my approximate 3000 song library of liked songs.  If I have to follow ALL artists I guess I'm going to have to turn off Notifications as spam notifications are not something I enjoy.

No idea why this is listed as "solved"
The problem is that the new change is horrible and it needs to be reverted. It doesnt make any sense they we would have to follow artists to properly use the "artists" tab 

Why are they being dismissive by marking it as solved when it's clearly irritating so many people. I DON'T WANT TO FOLLOW EVERY ARTIST I HAVE A SONG FOR simply so I can sort them by alphabetic order, and I don't want to save EVERY album in it's entirety just so that it shows up in order. I'm not attacking anyone individually, but this was an incredibly STUPID move on your part Spotify...

Yes, I'm only one subscriber, but i'll be looking at Apple or Google Music now. This applicaiton is just stupid now.

Thank you spotify for bringing the future to me!

Except: This future is one of inconveniences and misery. Why can't your multi-million dollar APP do what my 256MB MP3-Player did easily - over a decade ago?

No doubt: New stuff can be great and habits can change. But the elemination of this feature doesn't create any convenience, in contrary, it makes finding your favorite music so much harder and annoying. 

Taking into account the other comments, I feel the time has come for a new groundbreaking feature in spotify: Alphabetical sorting of your library!

Suggested posts