BMW Connected Drive Android Issues

Hi!

I have the following:

BMW 330e /w connected drive (2018) and no pending SW updates

Samsung s8 (no pending SW updates)

With the following problems:

The onboard spotify app - Changing to next song gives random song

The spotify menu is working 50% of the time

The app disconnects every 20min(requires app and BT restart)

What i've tried:

- Mailed BMW (Told me to bring it to a dealer)

- Reset of the car at the dealership(No changes, told me they knew about the problem but it was just on Android so they didn't care since everyone in Norway has IOS)

- Hard reset of the phone(No changes)

- Numerous guides that really just reinstalls the app(No changes)

- Called BMW again (New person told me Spotify was the problem without knowing any details)

- Searched my phone for some files(Found something i don't understand /attachment)

Regards

Someone who is tired of doing an unpaid job

47 Replies

galaxy s9 plus with the latest Android software may 2018 + brand new M140i 2018 latest idrive. spotify doesn't work, i can only see the spotify icon in the idrive screen, if i click on it. nothing happens , its a shame .i hope bmw and spotify are listening to this and hopefully they will fix it. 

1525585241553104410223249015994.jpg

Same issue for me with a new M2 and Google Pixel (Android 8.1).

😔 its very annoying. i tried everything. 

Picked an M2 up myself yesterday and same issue on a galaxy S8+.

This is an odd one.

When I had the connected drive app - the separate one, I could add Twitter and spotify to my apps on my 2014 435D.

I never used to plug the phone into the car for Spotify, I always just used Bluetooth. About 4-5 months ago, I lost the ability to switch songs from the control on my steering wheel. Can skip forward and replay through idrive button on centre console which is a pain.

However I have noticed the Spotify app has disappeared from my in car system and I can't seem to add it either.

Now it may be coincidence or directly connected to one another.

However I did expect better from BMW and spotify. How hard can it be to solve this?!

Screenshot_20180525-125644.png

I cannot get spotify app to load on my 2016 3 series, which has the media plus pack. Do I need a lot of hard drive space on the Idrive system? Really is frustrating and support is non existant. Yelp loads though! 

Same issue. BMW i3 with Oneplus 5T. Spotify does show nor the ability to control from wheel

The problem Spotify problem has nothing to do with iDrive hard drive space.

BMW suppport is useless. They informed me that Spotify / Android was not supported and I should simply connect my Galaxy S7 phone to the car via USB and accept limited functionality. This is nonsense of course and directly contradicts what BMW is officiallly telling us on their Connected App.

Spotify were sympathetic but no solution was put forward. Here is what they told me a couple of weeks ago :

We close reviewed the issue and we can confirm that the Spotify app itself is not causing any problems in this situation. This is based on the devices you're able to use for listening. We understand how frustrating this can be and we didn't mean to hassle you through out the process. But the best suggestion we have right now, is using wired connectivity to your BMW sound system.

This situation has been clearly shown as a limitation from your android phone to the BMW sound system itself. But since you're able to have various connection to multiple devices you have (e.g. Bluetooth speakers and Apple TV) we can confirm that this is something that is not being caused by our app.

We'd love to have this issue fixed as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, this connection issue is really needed to be raised to BMW again since this is something that's out of our scope of support. You can ask if they can update or downgrade the version of your sound system to match the Bluetooth connectivity of your phone. If it's possible, you can also ask for custom firmware too.

Today BMW called me to apologise and advise me that “ Germany was aware of the problem and was working on it”. Pretty pathetic given how long this fiasco has been going on.

In the end I have reverted to the BMW Online Entertainment  package, using the streaming services of a well French competitor to Spotify, which was discounted 20% by BMW thereby making the cost comparable to the normal monthly premium subscription. Works perfectly throughout Europe - as should Spotify. I wasted the best part of two months trying to resolve the Spotify problem and gave up in the end. 

Clearly, this is not a priority for BMW but will be a deal breaker for many, including me when they come to buy their next car. This was the message I gave to BMW to take back to Münich when I spoke with them today. 

Same for me on my new 2018 3-series F31. Yesterday it actually worked to start the spotify app (in iDrive) for the first time. I have an S9+.

I'll try to remove the battery savings for BMW connected app and spotify app as someone mentioned and see if that help.

Anyway, I also saw the issue with random song when chosing song from the heads-up display. From the main iDrive display it seemed to work.

I have a 225XE with a asus zenfone, and it's the same thing it's a pain in the **bleep** to get it to work, then it only works for about 10 minutes, and you have to connect everything all over again.

I've already tried every single option, all software is upgraded, still no luck.

it at least works with bluetooth, but no playlists, no menu and no album art.

F30 2013 owner here. Had on off service issues with Spotify since the start of my PCP. Went through all software updates, had the car back. This was with IOS, iPhone 6. Apparently there's a lag between updates on IOS and BMW app wise, although you can use a USB to play Spotify via the phone. It removes the functionality of the app but at least you have something. I was going on 3 hour car journeys unable to listen to playlists atone point which to me is a dealbreaker when pay a premium for both the car, phone and app... And still no music.

Anyway, recently switched to android P10 lite as was sick of iPhone after 4 years of using iPhone and mac. Ofcourse completely gutted that android isn't supported (due diligence not done which was a big ooops for me here). 

Called BMW and on the third attempt they simply said they don't currently support android on the 3 series. Only new 5 and 7 series have the support.

So does anyone have experience of that? I'm waiting for the new 3's out next year at the moment but if not supported by android maybe tempted with a 5. 

For BMW to say that only the new 5 and 7 series support Android is completely new to me. Frankly, I get the impression, from BMW UK at least, that the answer you get depends on the person you speak to. It is low priority and they haven’t got a clue what they are talking about in my opinion. Last contact I had with BMW ( they called me ) was to say they were aware of the problem and were expecting an update / solution from Germany in the near future. Various blogs show that they have been saying that for the best part of a year so don’t hold your breath.

It would interesting to hear what the Android / Spotify experience is from owners of the new 5 and 7 series.

If you still have some years remaining on your PCP my recommendation would be to go for the BMW Online Entertainment ( assuming your media package accepts it ) solution where you have the choice of two major music providers. Works perfectly and no need to fool around with phones - iOS or Android. Thereafter, you can then choose a make of car which gives better support to this subject than BMW.

I finally manage to work on my setup (BMW225Xe and Asus Zenfone),

Don't use the USB Cable! Only bluetooth.

Open the bmw connect app on the phone, open spotify, keep the Bmw connected app on the foreground.(i.e. Visible).

If you cannot connect just go to the connectdrive menu on the car, manage mobile phones, and for your currently connect mobile, first disable  then reenable the apps (box icon).

I think the main trick here is to keep the android bmw connected app on the foreground.

I've had the same problems as everybody, but now i did a 4 hour drive without any problems at all.

Hope this will helps.

Congratulations ! I am delighted that you appear to be the first person to find a solution to the Android / BMW / Spotify problem many of us have experienced.

It highlights the nonsense talked by BMW when they said that only the new 7 & 5 series were compatible.f

When you say “ keep the BMW Connected App in the foreground”, I assume you mean keep it in the foreground on your phone and keep it open to prevent it from sleeping ? If so, I tried this but it didn’t work for me - after a couple of minutes the phone reverted to lock screen . I assumed the BMW Connected was still working in the background but now I’m not so sure ! Also, if the phone is connected via Bluetooth ( which is the correct way, I agree ) and you have the BMW Connected App permanently on in the foreground, then how does that impact the battery life of the phone ?

Did you have media screen functionality ? By that I mean the ability to display album artwork, to select albums, playlists and individual tracks etc direct from iDrive ?

Glad i could help,

Keeping the aplication in foreground means to have the aplication visible on the screen of mobile. there's no problem, in letting the phone go to sleep, but it should go with that aplication on the foreground.

I didn't notice much more battery consumption other that the normal spotify/4G operation, as usual.

I do have the media screen menus, the only bug i noticed is that if you operate it on the steering wheel, the list on the dashboard is still scrambled, showing current song name twice, and if you select any song it will not be the correct one.

But on operanting it on the IDrive controller/dipslay i works fine.

so you are saying. its not easy to connect it and get it up and running, and even if it does it doesnt work properly. lol i really hope BMW and spotify are listening to this. its such a shame. but i am glad it somewhat worked for you. i will try the process and let you know if it works.  

it doesnt work in my M4 either. it is annoying. BMW should not market something which doesnt work, whoever is incharge of this should be fired , **bleep**. 

hi Again,

I've tested it today on my other bmw 420d , and it also works.

the real trick is to not connect the usb cable like the manual asks you to,  only connect with bluetooth.

keep the bmw Connected app on the foreground.

everything now works as it should, if i leave the car and comeback it will automaticly restart the spotify.

I've tested it on my wife 225xe (bussines NAV) , and on my 420d (professional NAV)

Hello,

I'm a newbie with all this. I tried this morning connecting my Galaxy s7 with Spotify and Connected Drive open to my 2015 x5 but I can't get past a screen on the car saying Install BWM Connected app. This is with a USB cable. I tried Buetooth as recommended above but the car insists I have to use a cable. I've been using computers for decades and I can't understand why such a simple thing is so difficult!

20180626_122113.jpg

Somethings to consider,

you should have the ConnectedApp on your mobile phone and a valid subscription for the connected app (yes, you have to pay for this piece**bleep**) .

The app needs to have storage permissions.

And you problably to should start with the USB cable, to see if at least you have some sort of connection.

Both my cars are 2018 models and mine Connected drive is diferent from yours.

Suggested posts