Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017)

Operating System

Android 8.0.0

My Question or Issue

App just decides to switch back to internal storage, which really annoying on a phone with only 10GB storage. When the app does this, I can not switch back to external, because the option is just gone. Restarting the app is not enough to get the option back, but I have to restart my entire phone.

This issue has persisted since I first started using Spotify and is not exclusive to this phone. I am tired of this problem existing since 2016 and nobody doing anything about it. The "solution" given in a previous thread (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-keeps-automatically-switching-downloads-to-internal...

does not work. It can also not be, that this is impossible to do correctly, since this has never been a problem with the Netflix app. The devs at Spotify simply have to do better!
Since I want this fixed, I am willing to put in a little time and try to get logs from my device using ADB, if they exist.

Settings missing the storage option

settings_broken.jpg

Settings with the storage option

settings_normal.jpg

  

3 Replies

Is there a fix for this? My Android app does this at least a couple times each week. Then when it does all the music downloads again. 

Hi there @dklsierisasdfas,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

We'd recommend taking out your SD card and checking it for errors using a software. You can search online for one, as there are plenty of free options available.

If everything is fine, try reinstalling your Spotify app, following this Guide. Also make sure that there is no cache clearing software or scheduling app enabled for Spotify. App that clear cache can cause this issue and delete your downloads.

If none of that helps, let us know your device model, OS version and Spotify version.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Alex,

I am not afflicted by this issue anymore, as I have a phone with more internal memory now. Nonetheless, I find your reply laughable after however many years this question has been up. While I did end up believing that it's actually a problem with the OS, I don't think it would kill your devs to remember the choice of downloading to external and then not downloading to internal memory if external is gone. Maybe you could even show a hint, that alerts the user to external not being available. The Netflix app never tried to use up all my internal memory, so it must be technically possible.

I've been a customer since 2016 and love the service Spotify provides. However, the persistent bugs in the Android application and disinterest in fixing them are quite frustrating. Frankly, things like the problem with the SD cards are just badly designed and I would hope that the company would display greater interest hearing such feedback and offering a solution to it, rather than telling their customers that it's their mess to sort out.

All the best to you

Suggested posts