Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

BUG: play queue disappears on android

Solved!

BUG: play queue disappears on android

Description
First of all this issue was already reported numerous times over last two years. Unfortunately it seems it never got proper attention (I would place there few links with examples, however this forum is rejecting my posts with links for some reason...).
It would be nice if someone from the moderators could finally file this as a bug. The problem is that play queue disappears after random period of time. You listen to music, then pause it (not terminating the app or anything like this, you simply pause the playback), lock your screen and couple of minutes (this can vary – it could be after one minute as well as after 20 mins) when you unlock your phone again, your play queue will be gone – your ‘now playing’ screen will be grey with play, forward and backward button (see attached screenshot)

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?
1.      Open Spotify on Android
2.      Select a random playlist or song
3.      Play it for a while and then pause it
4.      Do not terminate Spotify, simply lock your screen and wait for a while
5.      Then unlock your phone again and check if the play queue is still present
6.      If it’s gone, you’ll see a gray sceen (see screenshot)

What I expected to happen
I expect that the app will remember what’s in the play queue and the position where the last played track was stopped, so when I unlock the phone I can resume listening from the point where I stopped before (that’s how the desktop app works)

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?
Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?
Yes

Your device
Motorola MotoG 4G

Device’s Operating System
4.4.3 KitKat

What type of account do you have?
Premium

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")
Space left on your device
1.5 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)
N/A

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)
25 GB

Is your device rooted?
No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?
No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?
No – app is installed on the device and offline music is stored wherever you have the most free space available as far as I know

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?
No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?
Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?
N/A

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)
N/A

My mobile provider and country
Vodafone CZ

My username

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?
Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?
Both – there’s no difference in relation to this bug.

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?
See attachments

Thank you!

Screenshot_2014-08-16-15-41-41.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi all,

I did further research on this issue since my last post. I reset my phone to factory defaults, reinstalled Spotify and the problem disappeared, For a while. When I reinstall all my apps back, the problem re-occured. Still don't know what might be causing it, but I noticed that the problem re-occured after installing Aviate launcher and after I used its widget. I uninstalled Aviate, but the problem remained. So ultimately I did another factory reset, installed everything except Aviate and I'm not using ANY widget to control Spotify. So far so good.

I'm not blaming Aviate for this issue (friend of mine is running both apps on his Nexus 5 without any issues with either app). It seems that on my phone those two apps simply didn't get along or my phone does not enough RAM or something.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Usually when I come back from a locked screen on my phone it takes a little bit to refresh and show everything current myabe 5 seconds at most, the screen it will show that current blank grey cd picture where the cover image is but then 4 or 5 seconds maybe the current playing track then the cover art flash up it has been a little faster and smoother with this recent update. I guess I will watch this a little more closesly and see if it becomes an issue on my device, so far the newer vesion 1.3 android app has been running great, now if only the local 3g service around here was not so in and out when driving things would be perfect.

It would be great if someone can replicate the issue as well...

I did more troubleshooting today - it seems that the issue manifest itself more often when you're using the widget, however it's still present even after I stopped using the widget.

Attached is another screenshot - here's what happens when I return to Spotify after it was iddle for a while - everything looks normal at the begining, however 2-3 secs after returning to the app that bar which shows last played song slides down and disappears and the play queue is empty...

Screenshot_2014-08-17-15-53-26.png
Marked as solution

Hi all,

I did further research on this issue since my last post. I reset my phone to factory defaults, reinstalled Spotify and the problem disappeared, For a while. When I reinstall all my apps back, the problem re-occured. Still don't know what might be causing it, but I noticed that the problem re-occured after installing Aviate launcher and after I used its widget. I uninstalled Aviate, but the problem remained. So ultimately I did another factory reset, installed everything except Aviate and I'm not using ANY widget to control Spotify. So far so good.

I'm not blaming Aviate for this issue (friend of mine is running both apps on his Nexus 5 without any issues with either app). It seems that on my phone those two apps simply didn't get along or my phone does not enough RAM or something.

This is still ridiculous. If it is a memory issue it's still a bug in the app for not dealing with situations where people have less memory. I have a brand new HTC One M8, had it for 4 days and my queue has already disappeared twice now. This never happened on my iPhone (though the queue would *empty* frequently, causing frustration there as well).

Spotify: this is completely unacceptable. I am now paying $10 a month for a service. I expect the service to work. Your support system is atrociouis as I have to go to a community support forum to send a bug out into the ether, hope I used the right keywords, and pray someone else gives my idea kudos.

YOUR APPLICATION IS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY. It's further compounded by the problem that when the queue empties or DISAPPEARS  (HOW CAN THIS EVEN HAPPEN?!?), that the default action is apparently to return to the last thing that the user was "playing from." So great, until I repalce it with something else, every time this happens I get to listen to the same song over and over again.

Why won't Spotify address these simple issues? Busy making browse and mood playlists? Busy with holiday office parties? I have no idea. But I do know: 1) I'm paying for service. 2) The quality of service is less than I expect for the price I am paying.

One of two things must happen, either the service better get better, or I can't justify paying for it.

I have the same issue on my Samsung tablet

Hey @StokeMasterJack,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

In order to advise you better, we'd like to gather as much info as possible. With that being said, would you mind sending us a full description of the inconvenience you're having? Please send as much details as possible.

It'd also be great if you could send us a quick video of what is happening exactly on your end. You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it).

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts