Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Black screen or 1 second open then crashes and shuts down

Black screen or 1 second open then crashes and shuts down

I have the newest version of Spotify (8.4.0.539) and android version 6.0.1 Samsung s6.

This morning it was working fine then suddenly froze and stopped working and then shut down. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall, sometimes I get past the login stage then it seems to shut down as soon as it starts connecting to the Internet. I've cleared all the cache/app data and tried again for a clean reset. I've tried on both WiFi and my mobile network. I've tried logging in then quickly switching off my Internet but it still crashes.

HELP, please! totally lost without it!!
28 Replies

Same here with a Samsung s7

I suggest reinstalling spotify following all the steps here. If you still have problems, 

I suggest you use the online contact form and someone at Spotify can help get this sorted. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, please reply to it by email and you will hear back from one of the team shortly.

Exact same but for Samsung S7 

Hi, 

got the same thing going here. Black screen, then crashes. My phone is a Huawei p9 lite android 6.

I am having same issues on Samsung S7 not thrilled when paying for premium!

Same here, tried full suggested reinstall. (Galaxy Tab A10.1 and Motorola Motox Style). Was working perfectly, randomly decided to stop. reinstall does allow me to open app, however when login in with facebook credentials it immediately crashes.

Same on my Honor 8 and Nexus 9.

Feels like the app is broken for everyone after latest update, or that the Spotify servers are having issues. This cannot be a hardware issue, as many different (if not all) devices are affected.

Same here on a Google Pixel.

SAME !

I'm having the same issue this morning (UTC - London). Andriod 5.0 on a Samsung Note 3.

I dont want to uninstall because of my offline liabary! 

looking forward to response

Thanks.

Exactly the same here for my Samsung S7!

I'm on the same spotify

Version - 8.4.0.539

I have 2.5Gb of data on the memory card - the App has been very slow to start for a few months and I  feel this is a App software issue or a Spotify Server issue - almost some sort of validation thing going on that crashes the app. 

Any way please fix - im sure Soptify know the issue and are not amiting it because of a major issue (money or time to implement fix) somewhere.

🙂 

I have the same problem, XperiaZ5

Try the below fixes 

robineva
Music Lover
17m ago

This fix just worked for me:

1. Log into spotify with internet on.

2. As soon as logged in, turn off internet.

3. Turn back on after 30 secs.

Bit wierd but spotify is working finer for me now on my Samsung J5.  

marvinb89
Music Lover
5m ago

Worked for me, thanks for that!!

Typed in my login data, pressed the login button and immediately turned on the flight mode. Turned it off after like 30 secs and now it works fine.

Anyway, based on the threads and comments in here it seems to be an issue for many users with various devices.

Nuttynote
Concert VIP
2m ago

Working for now. . 

I shut down app. switched off mobile data and wifi - restarted phone - started spotify app in Offline and played an offline stored song and turned wifi back on and all working. 

It has to be Spotify Server and Validating and mapping how many devices to account on App start up. i have the one user account and 3 devices i can download too. the Server must need to validate all this and must get overworked hence the lag on start up on mobile.

It is a - offline data/account/device/server Issue - Spotify please fix, its a pain on App start up!!

These seem to be a work around not a solution as soon as you close the app you have to do the same all over. What's up with Spotify, first all this Waze nonsense now this?!?!

Same here, MotoG3

Same here. Immediate close upon launch.

Android Samsung Note 4 user. Version 8.4.0.539.

Temporary workaround fix but this works - Launch app with 'Airplane mode' switched on. Wait for app to load in offline mode and then turn data back on. 

Same thing on Nexus 5x, Android 7.1.2. Restarting the app while internet is disabled helped.

Same Issue here.

Galaxy S8 with the same version as everyone else. The tempory fix works however it needs to be sorted ASAP spotify! This isn't what I pay for!

Suggested posts