Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bluetooth and Lock Screen media controls not working

Solved!

Bluetooth and Lock Screen media controls not working

So recently I have been having the issue where bluetooth devices are unable to control the music. i.e Skip/repeat/pause/play... 

My device and version are as follows:

• Device: Samsung S8+ (SM-G955W)
  • Spotify Version: 8.4.38.621 armV7

I found a few fixes but they are just temporary I listed them below:

1. restarting device
  2. reinstalling the app
  3. clearing the data (through the spotify app)
  4. doing a force stop (Settings>apps>force stop)
  5. logging out then back in (this worked once then never worked again)

Now it's getting really annoying having to do one of the fixes every so often there isnt a set time when it fails... I found posts dating back to november about a user experiencing the same issue.

I would appreciate if someone knows a perment fix or at least an update on this issue?

Edit:

Forgot to mention that the issue also stops the lockscreen music controls from working...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I uninstalled Android Wear and all my bluetooth control issues went away.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

I have the same problem on my S7. No Bluetooth controls work. Various restarts help for a short time. Just started this week. 

I have the same issue, with both Bluetooth and Lockscreen Controls on Samsung Galaxy S8. Spotify version 8.4.38.621, Android 7.0, "Samsung Experience Version" 8.1.

The issue does not occur with Google Play Music or other media players, only with Spotify.

Same problem, media controls don't work on bluetooth headphones, android wear devices, wired headphones, and lock screen. If I unlock the phone and use the spotify notification it works fine, it also works fine with Google Play Music, Pandora, and Netflix.

I found a similar thread here https://community.spotify.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/spotifyandroid/thread-id/88778/... where someone claims uninstalling the android wear app fixes it. I haven't tried it as I'd rather have my watch work than have to unlock my phone to pause Spotify.

This is on a Galaxy S8

Model: SM-G950U

Android: 7.0

Spotify: 8.4.38.621 armV7

This is a very frustrating issue to have to unlock my phone to pause my music and pushes me even closer to Google Play Music. 

Same issue with me on a Samsung Galaxy S8. I use Headset Button Controller app so I assume that is why wired headphone controls still work for me, but lockscreen ones aren't. This is for Spotify. Good to know it's not just me, I just performed an update on my phone so maybe it's a bug in the update? It's not an update to Oreo, just a minor update.

Marked as solution

I uninstalled Android Wear and all my bluetooth control issues went away.

So I tested it yesterday and so far so good... this is annoying though now I can't use my smart watch.

I don't have Android Wear.

The issue has inexplicable disappeared for me now. I forced closed Spotify (but I don't think that fixed the root of the problem, as I had already tried restarting the phone to no avail). I suspect the issue will return soon.

I'm in the same boat - Samsung S8 + Spotify + LG Watch Sport + IconX earbuds

Lockscreen, watch and IconX controls are all broken as of a week or two ago.

Very aggravating.

Removing Android Wear and rebooting does seem to have solved the problem, but that's a suck solution to this problem.

Same, here with Samsung S7 Edge. I uninstalled spotify and removed all data, installed again and it started working on my headphones, but when I was in my car today I could not skip between songs. I also have android ware but I am not going to unstall that since that creates a bigger problem and is not a solution.

This started about 2 weeks ago, hope there will be a fix soon so I don't have to find a 3rd party version of spotify.

The solution is to

clear the cache and data of the Spotify app:

Step 1. From a Home screen, touch and swipe up or down to display all apps.

Step 2. Tap on Settings.

Step 3. Tap on Apps.

Step 4. Scroll down and tap Spotify app.

Step 5. Tap Storage.

Step 6. Tap Clear cache.

Step 7. Tap Clear data.

Then,

Step 1. From the Home screen, swipe up to display all apps.

Step 2. Tap on Settings

Step 3. Tap on Apps

Step 4. Tap Menu

Step 5. Tap Reset app preferences ,then follow the prompt to proceed with the reset

Most Importantly, To clear the cache and data of the Bluetooth app:

Step 1. From a Home screen, touch and swipe up or down to display all apps.

Step 2. Tap on Settings.

Step 3. Tap on Apps.

Step 4. Tap on Show system apps.

Step 5. Scroll down and tap Bluetooth app.

Step 6. Tap Storage.

Step 7. Tap Clear cache.

Step 8. Tap Clear data.

I've had that problem for over 6 months, until today I just got off a live chat with Samsung agent. I have a galaxy note 5, I believe this is a Samsung issue. But that should fix your problem. The last step should be the fix, but try all to be sure! Good Luck!

Suggested posts