Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Bug][Android][Bluetooth]

[Bug][Android][Bluetooth]

Hello, I find a bug and would like to share it with Spoify.

Requirments:

1) Android Phone

2) Bluetooth media player

Steps to reproduce:

1) Connect android phone to Bluethooth media (in my case it is my car - Tayota Prius)
2) Start playing music from Spotify trough Bloetooth
3) Get incoming call and accept it

4) While conversation is on, switch off Bluetooth media plaer (in my case i switch off the car and walk away)

5) End phone conversation

Expected Result:

After phone conversation is over and call was terminated I would expect that music will not continue to play, as bluetooth source already not avalibale

Actual Result:

Spotifay start playing music from phone loudspeakers

Required to fix:

Add extra check on "Play Resume" that connected bluetooth source is still avalibale, and stop playing if not avaliable.

Best Regards

P.S. Feel free to ask me for any clarifications if you would have any questions

6 Replies

I'm not sure this is a bug exactly, as Spotify does behave as I would expect it to, it gets paused automatically on an incoming phone call then resumes when the call is over. The change of bluetooth output to speakers is handled by the operating system outside of Spotify.

If you want to suggest it as a future change, I would post it over on the Ideas Exchange:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/idb-p/ideaexchange

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hello Peter and thank you for a replay

I would still consider it as a bug because:

when u listen music in the car over bluetooth and switch off the car, so bluetooth source become unavailable, Spotify stops automatically and not continue to play through loudspeakers. 

The same situation is here, just logic gets more complex, because of active conversation.

I still believe that Spotify must  to check availability of the bluetooth source on resume play and stop it, as it would do in normal case when it is not available. the only difference is phone conversation which appears to be in the middle of those 2 actions.

Hi, this is actually a feature which can have multiple variable and each has their own preference.

Essentialy when an incoming call is detected the state 'CALL_STATE_RINGING' is triggered. On detecting this most media players are set to 'mediaPlayer.pause' when the 'CALL_STATE_OFFHOOK' is detected (i.e the call has ended) then a resume command is sent. This is a standard handling of media & calls. What you are asking for is more specific and more a user case preference.

If you want to control the media putmut and create scenarios to meet your needs I'd massively recommend trying Tasker as this can handle the media commands and if you could create an override to do what you want.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

"This is not a bug, but a feature" - Guys this is all sounds like an excuse...

Here are 2 separate and logical conditions:

1) Handling incoming call:
Spotify playing
got incoming call
Spotify stops
finish call 
Spotify resum

Perfect and as it should be isn't it?

2) Handling play-out source
Spotify set to play through Bluetooth source
Bluetooth source become unavailable
Spotify stops playing

Also perfect, maybe not "as it should be" in some cheap applications, but I definitely love it in Spotify!!! and thank you for that

Now illogical stuff:
I dont care about incoming call and when it starts or finished
all i care about point 2 mentioned above!

Bluetooth source available = PLAY
Bluetooth source unavailable = STOP

and i don't see the reason why would incoming call change this politics? and how come this illogical situation could be a feature? 
Rather than somebody don't want to write few lines of check code and fix litle bug?

Just imagine the situation:
You are listening music in the car...
Getting incoming call and in the same time drive up to the shop
you park, switch off the car and walk into the shop while you're still on conversation.
Now you end your call and suddenly your phone start screaming through phone loudspeakers on max volume on entire shop and everyone around in the shop start looking at you? nothing serious, but i didn't feel self comfortable...
for contract imagine it was heavy heavy hard metal with screams...

Now tell me this is a feature...
/facepalm

I'm sorry you feel that your case is not catered for. May I suggest that if you don't want to find an alternate workaround that you post your suggestion as an idea in the Ideas Forum. From there the developers can determine the amount of users this will affect and may look to implement it as a feature of the app if enough kudos is achieved and the idea is achievable programatically.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/idb-p/ideaexchange

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Hi and thank you for such quick response

it is pity that you guys still don't see it as a bug... 

"if you don't want to find an alternate workaround"

I would love to, but unfortunately i don't see any... only if during conversation while its not over stop Spotify forcibly in task manager
But it is not handy to minimise conversation screen and search for active Spotify task to kill it while still have to listen and answer in conversations...

May be one day you will be in my situation and feel yourself how is it uncomfortable...

Regarding posting it as suggestion or new feature and wait for thumbs up point....
look... there  are 440 pages +. whos the heck will find my little post in that wall of text? I don't believe in success of that idea.
More over i still believe that it is more likely behaviour bug rather than "feature" 

You see, you could call it as feature only in one case
if when bluetooth become unavailable it still continue to play.
In that case you could say - yes it is feature, you switch off bluetooth but our awesome app is unkillable and immediately find alternative output source to play - your loudspeakers. 
But it is not like that, currently app gets paused if you switch off bluetooth source (what is right i believe!)
it just gets a bit glitchy when there appears second factor - a phone call. behaviour is not smart enough to handle 2 cases together, only one by one: or call or output source.
As active Android developer i can tell you it is few lines of code fix

Anyway as loyal Spotify user I did all my best to let you know about illogical app behaviour. If you won't accept it, well... what can i do?

its ok, ill survive somehow with it

Suggested posts