Country

United States

Device

Samsung Galaxy 8+

Operating System

Android 9, December 1, 2020 security patch

Spotify Version 

My Question or Issue

When my phone stops or starts wireless charging, the sound cuts out for about a half second. This happens about a second after the phone is placed on the charger or removed, or when the phone reaches 100% and switches from charging to pass-through mode. (I assume it's taking that long for the phone and charger hardware to handshake.)

It occurs whether or not the screen is on.

It does not occur when Spotify is in the foreground. I've confirmed that Spotify is not set to have restricted background network access or any other background battery saving settings.

This also does not occur when the phone is charged via wire. Only wirelessly.

I only noticed this in December. Not sure if the latest Android update is involved or not.

5 Replies

Hi @michael-l,

Thanks for reporting this to us!

This seems to be related to the phone's hardware. It's possible that when the wireless charging connection is enabled/ disabled it takes over the input/ output channels of the phone and in turn briefly cutting playback.

Another reason for this might be that most phones give an audio notification when charging is enabled, which could also be overriding the playback output.

We've passed this info the the right teams at Spotify 🙂

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Please note that this started 2 weeks ago. I've had this phone and charger
for over 3 years.

Hi @michael-l,

Thank you for keeping in  touch. 

In this case, what could have changed is how Spotify handles music pausing or similar based on the notifications or actions that get reported to the app from the OS, but overall we don't have much influence on this, as there are some standards that we need to follow (lowering volume on notification, stopping playback on call, etc.).

This can vary from device to device, as the Android ROMs can be configured to send different "signals" to the apps. Some notification or action triggers might've been updated recently. We'll pass it on to the right flow, but for now we can't promise that we'll be able to take any action on it.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Yeah, it makes me wonder if itnuas something to do with the latest Android
Security Update. The timing is sus.

Thanks, and I know y'all will do what you can, when you can. 🙂

I’m having the same issue. Same phone and same charger never experienced this issue until about a month ago.

Suggested posts