Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't Sync local files from PC to Phone

Can't Sync local files from PC to Phone

I have lots of songs on my computer which are not on Spotify it's self. So I imported them. I have all of my local files in a playlist called "Saved". I have configured all of my firewall settings, allowing all spotify.exe's to get through. I have the "Download" option ticked on both my PC and Phone. I've tried reinstalling on both devices and neither worked and when I uninstalled from my phone, other local files from my PC which had been previously downloaded were not downloaded again! 

I have previously been able to sync local files from PC to my phone, but something recent has stopped it from being possible, hence my comment about previously downloaded local files not being downloaded again. Both devices have been restarted multiple times and a wide array of offline mode and app closing combinations were tried and still nothing. I managed to break the app a little and put some of my local files into the "Songs" section which I don't think should be possible but oh well... On my phone, these songs are all grayed out and don't even have the grayed out download button which normal, non-downloaded songs have. Also forgot to mention both devices are on my 5G wireless network so that's not a problem.

Does anyone know how to sync these local files or is it not possible anymore?

10 Replies

Any issues are normally down to communication issues so here's a list of things to check if local files won't download.

• Your PC and mobile must be connected to the same Network/SSID and spotify should be running on your PC.
  • In your router settings, check that UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is enabled.
  • Make sure that Windows shows your network as private and not public.
  • Set exceptions for spotify in any firewall or internet security programme. If you are unsure how to do this, temporarily disable them.
  • Check that you haven't already hit the limit of 3,333 downloads per device or 9,999 downloads across all devices.
  • If you are using a wifi network outside of your home, there is every chance that the protocols used by spotify for downloading are blocked.

If you still can't make it work, you can create a mobile hotspot on your mobile and connect your PC to this hotspot via wifi. Syncing the local files should then work.

"Your PC and mobile must be connected to the same Network/SSID and Spotify should be running on your PC." I literally said in the post that I had already done that but whatever. 

"In your router settings, check that UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is enabled." - It is.

"Make sure that Windows shows your network as private and not public." - I'm pretty sure it is, but not sure how to check.

"Set exceptions for Spotify in any firewall or internet security program. If you are unsure how to do this, temporarily disable them." - I literally said in the post that I had already done that but whatever.

"Check that you haven't already hit the limit of 3,333 downloads per device or 9,999 downloads across all devices." - Checked, I have less than 500 songs.

"If you are using a wifi network outside of your home, there is every chance that the protocols used by Spotify for downloading are blocked." I am using my home network.

"If you still can't make it work, you can create a mobile hotspot on your mobile and connect your PC to this hotspot via wifi. Syncing the local files should then work." - Tried that, still didn't work. They are still grayed out and it just says "waiting to download" as before.

Any other ideas?

I just noticed you said "both devices are on my 5G wireless network". 5g is a mobile network and not Wifi. As far as I know, local files can not be synced over a mobilr network. If you're running Windows 10 on your PC, right click on the wifi icon in the task bar then "open network and sharing centre" which shows whether your network is public or private.

Ok first off, when I said 5g I was referring to a 5GHZ connection which IS a wifi network which is simply on a different frequency band. Also, you told me to use a mobile hotspot on my phone, which is a mobile network, and yet you also just told me that files can't be synced over a mobile network, so???

I did also check my network and it does say private.

I have the same problem since yesterday, i could play any song from local files on my phone (S7) but after downloading a new song from youtube and putting it into my playlist it just was grey and didn´t sync on my phone and only says "this song isn´t available"  (Dieser Song ist nicht verfügbar, since i´m having a german acc). I´ve also configured my firewall settings but nothing happened.. Also reinstalled it on my Phone but after that, all my songs from local files that i was able to play before weren´t downloaded too. I can play them on my PC and click on them on my phone to play them on PC but just not on my phone.. 

I did all the other things that float around the web, and later played around in my windows firewall avdanced settings (Controlpanel>System&security>WindowsDefenderFirewall>AdvancedSettings>''rules for incoming traffic'') and found that spotify.exe was blocked (dunno why). After I unblocked it, things started downloading on my phone again, so go and check yours too.

Tried everything in this thread, including allowing access for spotify.exe in the firewall. I even tried to turn off firewall without any changes. "Waiting to download" still stands there.

someone help, im having the same problem, i have about 10 of my local file songs put into a playlist for me to download and theres 3 that i recently tried to download but shows up in grey and theres no download icon next to it and it just says "Waiting to download..." i tried to allow spotify.exe in the firewall by allowing it in private and public networks but im not sure if thats what im supposed to do to allow spotify access. i also tried turning the firewall completely off and it did nothing

nvm, i checked my firewall and spotify.exe was unblocked but i did something else and it finally downloaded, not sure what did it but thank you though for helping me unblock spotify from firewall

I had the same problem. I am using student Premium. Local files on PC added to the playlist, but I can't download them on my phone. I tried to disable firewall, set network to private, reinstall spotify mobile app, didn't work. 

Then I realize the problem might be with my wifi. I don't have access to the reuter settings, it is a Xfinity wifi.

So as above suggested, I turn on the mobile hotspot on my phone, and connect my PC to it. I have to also turn on "download using cellular" in spotify app setting. Then wait for a few seconds and I can finally download the local files on PC to my phone.

Suggested posts