Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot Download Any Offline Music - To SD Card or Device

Solved!

Cannot Download Any Offline Music - To SD Card or Device

My Virgin Mobile Galaxy S5 just upgraded to Marshmallow yesterday (4/16/16). Since then (possbily before - I haven't tried to download anything in the last week or two) I cannot download any music to SD card or device. I have tried all the tricks I could find in the forums - clearing cache, deleting Spotify folders, uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, etc. No luck. I went into application management and checked all the permissions for Spotify. No luck. When I click on the download or "available offline" buttons, I get the notification that Spotify is waiting to download, but nothing ever actually downloads. I tried removing all of my offline devices from my Spotify account and reinstalled again. No luck. (Spotify account now shows no offline devices.)

Anyone else having this problem? I've seen other posts with people having problems downloading to the SD card. I thought that was my problem as well until I discovered I couldn't get it to download on the device either.

I sent an email to Spotify support, but haven't had a response yet. I go out of town soon and will be super annoyed if I have to go with no tunes.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Thanks for all the follow-up, Daniel. Yesterday, I tried to use Spotify on my PC desktop for the first time in weeks and found that wasn't working either - couldn't listen to any of my local music, couldn't download offline music, etc. I uninstalled/reinstalled Spotify on my PC and, for reasons I cannot explain, both the desktop and Android apps started working fine. Thanks again.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hmm. How are you connecting to the internet? Wi-Fi? Public or private?

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Private Wi-Fi - 30 mbps. Having no problems with any other apps.

How many tracks have you marked for offline listening? There's a limit of 3,333 per device for 3 devices.

Also can you check you don't have more than 3 devices already set for download on the www.spotify.com/account page

Android Troubleshooting:

I've reinstalled several times, therefore there is nothing marked for offline listening until I attempt unsuccessfully to download a single song or album. I had one device - my Galaxy S5 - set for download. I removed that device and added it again. Last night I installed Spotify on my wife's Galaxy S5 and had the same problem.

Can you try disabling the power saving feature in the phone settings under the 'Power' section? This seems to cause a lot of issues as it's quite agressive and closes Spotify thus could be what's causing you issue.

Alternatively it could be part of this bug which seems to affect Samsung Users: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Android-Storage-Area-Not-Found/idi-p/1316531

Android Troubleshooting:

Power Saving has always been off. Spotify doesn't shut down. It runs. I can play music online. It just won't download. And I don't get the no storage area found error. SD card shows up under storage options in Spotify. Just won't download. To SD card or device. I appreciate the help.

Can you try toggling the download using cellular option and disable WiFi to see if it's an issue with your WiFi as opposed the the device/app?

After toggling this to on see if tracks start to download (if they do - turn it back off again to save your data).

Android Troubleshooting:

Hmm... Switching to data worked. And now I'm on the work Wi-Fi and downloading seems to be working fine here. I'll check my home Wi-Fi again this evening. Home Wi-Fi is working for everything else - downloading apps, streaming Netflix and YouTube, etc. I'll post again this evening either way. Thanks for the help.

Check on your router settings that UPnP is enabled? Also you may need to allow the IP range and ports that Spotify is using in your router manually: Open the firewall for 78.31.8.0/21 and open port 4070 for TCP as well as port 80 for TCP.

Android Troubleshooting:

I'm home and having the same problem, so the issue is somehow connected to my Wi-Fi. But I don't know how to do any of the things you mentioned. And I don't understand why I'm only having an issue with Spotify downloads. 

What router have you got?

What you need to do is go into the router administration page and setup the port forwards as I described. There should be information in the router manual on how to do this.

Android Troubleshooting:
Marked as solution

Thanks for all the follow-up, Daniel. Yesterday, I tried to use Spotify on my PC desktop for the first time in weeks and found that wasn't working either - couldn't listen to any of my local music, couldn't download offline music, etc. I uninstalled/reinstalled Spotify on my PC and, for reasons I cannot explain, both the desktop and Android apps started working fine. Thanks again.

Suggested posts