Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cant use my spotify premium - google smart lock blocks spotify starting

Solved!

Cant use my spotify premium - google smart lock blocks spotify starting

My wife has a google nexus 6. Up until about a week ago, spotify worked fine and she uses it most days (she pays for premium).  Now, if she opens spotify, a few seconds later, some sort of weird smart lock messages pops up, and closes spotify app down.

We tried rebooting the phone, didnt help. 

We found several posts with the same issue, but none had replies.

Any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Try in this order, 

Go to settings-google-Smart lock for password

Disable auto sign in

Go on web and change password

Re-enable smart lock

If that doesn't work try signing out of your Google account maybe?

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I had the same problem. Here is how I resoloved it:

1. Go to https://passwords.google.com/

2. In the search box look for Spotify.

3. Press the Delete buttorn.

4. Re open Spotify app, this time you will be able to ener your password

View solution in original post

56 Replies

Hey @nutmix.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you and your wife out 🙂

Could you possibly send us a screenshot showing us the message that pops us? We'll look into it. If you could link us to the similar threads in the Community, that would also be great.

Thanks! We'll be looking out for your reply.

Did this ever get resolved? Having the same issue on the S9 Plus.

Nevermind. I had to update the password saved in my google account for Spotify.

The message about smartlock pops up and dissapears too fast to take a screen shot. right at the same time, spotify closes (not running at all).

No solution yet.

Have found no answer on the web.

But have kinda solution.

I own a Samsung Galaxy s10 plus and the same issue.

I changed my password on the website and it work again.

What's making this? 

Hope it helps someone.

Hey @Shanty and @Stingray240CS,

Glad to hear changing the password did the trick 😉

@nutmix could you give that a go and see if it works for you?

Keep us posted 🙂

Thanks for this!

Me and my partner had the same issue.

It's because of Google smart lock. It's been a known issue for a month but no resolves! It can happen to any app not just spotify and changing password on the web has worked for all of mine

Just Today Have The Same Issue, Changed Passwords, Install UnInstall App, Deleted Passwords On Google...Nothing Seems To Work.... Galaxy S10+ PLEASE HELP...

THANK YOU.....

Marked as solution

Try in this order, 

Go to settings-google-Smart lock for password

Disable auto sign in

Go on web and change password

Re-enable smart lock

If that doesn't work try signing out of your Google account maybe?

It Did Work, Disabling Smart Lock And Use Airplane Mode sent me to the login screen then i just turn off airplane mode.

I Did Not Had To Change Password At All

Thank You So Much...

Mine glitches and I'm not even able to change the password on my app. It won't even open and I can't access my profile or playlists.

this worked for me!

disabled smart lock auto sign in, logged into my spotify account using username/password and everything is working just fine now (also tested after turning auto sign in on). 

This worked for me ,thanks! 

Same problem on my Samsung J5 2016.  Tried turning smart lock off and back on, but no joy.  Spotify is currently inaccessible and unusable.

I solved this problem a little differently on my Note 9. Fist i went to my app manager and force stopped Spotify. Then I got on my computer browser and went to https://passwords.google.com and deleted spotify from my password manager. I logged back into spotify and my password was not working so i had to reset password but once i did, everything worked.

Same. This is really annoying.

This may only work if you have a Google account.

I had to change my pw and this started happening to my phone app with Google Smartlock wigging out on me and rendering the app unusable. I went into Settings > Google > Google Account > under "Signing into other sites": Password Manager. I deleted the saved Spotify pw and re-saved it and it worked.

Hello, I have the same problem on my Motorola MotoG 5 Plus. I did everything other people kindly suggested and nothing works. I also uninstalled and re-installed the app after I disabled Google smart lock, removed Spotify from my Google manager and changed password for Spotify on the website. And the **bleep** Smart Lock is still there!! And it flashes too fast to take a screenshot. Basically, I can't use mobile Spotify. Does anyone have any other ideas? 😞

Here is the answer of your question; The problem is, you use your gmail account both for your mobile phone and your spotify account but these two passwords are different. Your phone tries to open your spotify account automatically but it can't. So you see pop ups whick cannot be closen. What you must do; 1.Open your spotify account from internet explorer or google chrome, 2.Change your password to the same password of your mobile phone's gmail account password. Then it is okay. Do not try to close smart lock password remember settings. It doesn't change anything for your spotify smart lock problem.

Suggested posts